RHEL 7.6 : Final release available

Latest response

I just realized that as of today, the final release of RHEL 7.6 is available to download and install ->
https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/69/ver=/rhel---7/7.6/x86_64/product-software

Responses

Excellent news.

Very worthy milestone.

Let's hope the upgrade is smooth.

Regards,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

Hi Dusan,

I've just finished the upgrade process on my physical machine - everything worked as expected.
Now I'm gonna fire up my ansible-playbook in order to upgrade my virtual machines as well ... :)

Regards,
Christian

I am waiting because of my bad experience with originally installing RHEL 7.4 and the upgrade right after the install -- to RHEL 7.5 -- broke the GUI and logging in.

The huge amount of packages that my "yum update" requested set off my concerns that this was a major upgrade. My work laptop needs to be working with as little issues as possible so I am holding off.

James

Good decision James, you are right - although the server upgrade went smoothly and everything works, I'm facing GUI issues too. My "old" AMD Radeon 3650 graphics adapter can't be used at the moment, because the currently installed xorg-x11-drv-ati drivers are crashing. As a workaround I added radeon.modeset=0 to the kernel boot parameters until an update/upgrade for the xorg/xserver drivers packages will be - hopefully soon - available. :)

Regards,
Christian

Yeah, I feel sorry for you. Having to resolve an issue like that would not have made for a good day at work.

I'm currently using a Dell E6520 laptop with RHEL 7.5.

Best,

James

Thanks, James - fortunately this issue does not appear on virtual (GUI) systems, in my case at least. :)

Regards,
Christian

[AMD/ATI] RV710/M92 [Mobility Radeon HD 4530/4570/545v] after login to GUI, everything hang.i have to undo the update and back to 7.5,all work fine now.

That is why I am waiting and only updating individual packages.

Hi "cn man" ! :)

As a workaround you can add nomodeset to the boot parameters until this bug is fixed.

Regards,
Christian

All,

I guess I wait a few days before upgrading my RHEL servers at work. Will first do some tests at home.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

That's a good idea, Jan Gerrit ! :)

Regards,
Christian

So discovered today that there's some giant bugs with Satellite and 7.6, especially if you are on satellite 6.2. (ask me how I know) I foresee an upgrade to satellite 6.3.currentish to 6.4 per discussion with my TAM

Is 7.6 available for developer use yet? :)

Hi GD,

Yes, it is ... if you are running the developer edition RHEL 7.5 (which I assume you do), a simple sudo yum upgrade should get you going. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks for letting me know! :)

G D

Absolutely, go to the downloads area & grab it. https://access.redhat.com/downloads/

If necessary, use your current Red Hat credentials, and log into developers.redhat.com and then re-check your subscriptions at access.redhat.com

Regards

RJ

Thanks for the update! :)

G D, if you just need the iso file to load/reload a system (or if your entitlement expired), see the previous post I made. If you're upgrading an existing system to RHEL 7.6, see Christian's post above

Regards,

RJ

I'm going to do a clean install, I usually always do. :)

Hi GD,

This is the best and most professional option of course and what I generally recommend to do.
But ... I have to admit that : upgrading minor RHEL releases is working very reliably as well ... :)

Regards,
Christian

All,

first serious bug announced: https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3673201 LVM related issue, it is possible to corrupt the first 128kb of a physical volume.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Thank you for the information, Jan Gerrit ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Has this issue been fixed yet?

Hi G D,

The solution states an errata is imminent, so IMHO it is to be expected very soon, but the date is not set.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra Not a Red Hat employee.

Sorry, please forgive me, I assumed you worked for Red Hat, it’s my mistake. :)

Bona fide Red-Hatters are usually identified with a "Red Hat" banner at the bottom of their avatar icon.

Thanks Jan

Your welcome, this is a show stopper to bring RHEL 7.6 to the test environment at the office.

Hi Jan Gerrit, if you follow the "golden rule" which says : never work on disks and partitions from within a running system ... then this is not really a show stopper any more ... would you agree ? :)

Regards,
Christian

So the lvm2 issue claims to be resolved with https://access.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2018:3442 (see "Updated Packages" tab at that link) - lvm2-2.02.180-10.el7_6.2.x86_64

The body of the above RHBA includes this text (so this addresses the Bugzilla):

Fixes
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1644206
rpm -q --changelog lvm2
Name        : lvm2
Epoch       : 7
Version     : 2.02.180
Release     : 10.el7_6.2
Architecture: x86_64
Install Date: Thu 01 Nov 2018 09:38:16 AM EDT
Group       : System Environment/Base
Size        : 3105541
License     : GPLv2
Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Wed 31 Oct 2018 05:24:34 AM EDT, Key ID 199e2f91fd431d51
Source RPM  : lvm2-2.02.180-10.el7_6.2.src.rpm
Build Date  : Wed 31 Oct 2018 04:55:58 AM EDT
Build Host  : x86-034.build.eng.bos.redhat.com
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Vendor      : Red Hat, Inc.
URL         : http://sources.redhat.com/lvm2
Summary     : Userland logical volume management tools
Description :
LVM2 includes all of the support for handling read/write operations on
physical volumes (hard disks, RAID-Systems, magneto optical, etc.,
multiple devices (MD), see mdadm(8) or even loop devices, see
losetup(8)), creating volume groups (kind of virtual disks) from one
or more physical volumes and creating one or more logical volumes
(kind of logical partitions) in volume groups.
* Wed Oct 31 2018 Marian Csontos <mcsontos@redhat.com> - 7:2.02.180-10.el7_6.2
- Fix possible write beyond metadata area.
<output truncated>

And also lvm2-libs

rpm -q --changelog lvm2-libs
Name        : lvm2-libs
Epoch       : 7
Version     : 2.02.180
Release     : 10.el7_6.2
Architecture: x86_64
Install Date: Thu 01 Nov 2018 09:38:13 AM EDT
Group       : System Environment/Libraries
Size        : 3778940
License     : LGPLv2
Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Wed 31 Oct 2018 05:24:34 AM EDT, Key ID 199e2f91fd431d51
Source RPM  : lvm2-2.02.180-10.el7_6.2.src.rpm
Build Date  : Wed 31 Oct 2018 04:55:58 AM EDT
Build Host  : x86-034.build.eng.bos.redhat.com
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Vendor      : Red Hat, Inc.
URL         : http://sources.redhat.com/lvm2
Summary     : Shared libraries for lvm2
Description :
This package contains shared lvm2 libraries for applications.
* Wed Oct 31 2018 Marian Csontos <mcsontos@redhat.com> - 7:2.02.180-10.el7_6.2
- Fix possible write beyond metadata area.

Regards

RJ

WOW ... that was fast - thanks for the update, RJ ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Gladly Christian,

Hope all is well in your world

Very glad they resolved this (yesterday, apparently) so soon.

Regards, RJ

Yes, (nearly) everything fine in "my world" - thank you, RJ ! :) By the way, I have also upgraded my fedora workstation to F29 and you know what ? That thingie rocks - really ! The best workstation system I've ever used so far ... I can't imagine how the devs will be able to top that - unbelievable.

Cheers :)
Christian

Oh, and I hope that in "your world" everything is perfect too - or better : as good as possible ... :)

G D

Overwhelmingly, minor OS upgrades (the number to the right of the period) do not require a full reload. I generally upgrade minor RHEL releases (7.x to a higher version of 7.x, and even 6.x to a higher version of 6.x in the past) with generally no issues. Generally speaking.

Regards

RJ

Hi RJ,

I can absolutely confirm your experience ... I have upgraded from 7.4 to 7.5 to 7.6 ... not a single problem.
The problem in RHEL 7.6 with the AMD xorg drivers would have occurred on a fresh installation as well. :)

Regards,
Christian

After several weeks, what is the status about the issues I have mentioned? I'd like to lock my RHEL 7.5 into updates just for that version, if possible.

Respectfully,

James

Hi James, which specific issues do you mean ? You only mentioned that you have to fix issues generally.
Except for the buggy ati graphics drivers I've reported, everything works perfectly fine with my systems.
And that problem I could solve by temporarily installing the newer ati drivers from the fedora project. :)

Regards,
Christian

My very first post here: "I am waiting because of my bad experience with originally installing RHEL 7.4 and the upgrade right after the install -- to RHEL 7.5 -- broke the GUI and logging in.

The huge amount of packages that my "yum update" requested set off my concerns that this was a major upgrade. My work laptop needs to be working with as little issues as possible so I am holding off."

Mind you, I also encountered the same problem with nvidia drives and generic drivers when I replicated the situation with a VM.

Hi James,

Thanks for the feedback, I think once the drivers stack gets updated that'll be solved.
I can't tell you how long it takes, eventually the maintainer is currently on holidays. :)

Regards,
Christian

No problem.

Everybody deserves breaks here and there, so no worries.

I did look further and it's running noveau and I am fine with that.

[root@rhel75laptop-work ~]# lshw -c video *-display
description: VGA compatible controller product: GF119M [NVS 4200M] vendor: NVIDIA Corporation physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0 version: a1 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0 resources: irq:27 memory:e3000000-e3ffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:e0000000-e1ffffff ioport:3000(size=128) memory:e4000000-e407ffff

Great James, so then give the upgrade a try ... and if something goes wrong that you can't fix, just create a system backup with Clonezilla before and restore it back in case it's needed - good luck. :)

Regards,
Christian

xorg-x11-drv-ati-18.1.0-1.fc30.x86_64.rpm or xorg-x11-drv-ati-18.1.0-1.el8.x86_64.rpm works xorg-x11-drv-ati-18.0.1-2.fc29.x86_64.rpm don't work

It would be a good idea if you could confirm the bug ->
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1637561
This raises the chance to get a fixed drivers stack soon.

Regards,
Christian

I just saw that you've added the confirmation to the bug report. Great ! Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,
Christian

Hi James,

Be aware this is a discussion forum of customers. If you wish to get a quick answer, please open a support case.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Thank you.

Hi James, I think Jan Gerrit just wanted to give you a hint that you can open support cases.
Even though it "sounds a bit harsh" (he could have put the word "please" at the beginning),
he didn't intend to offend you in any way ... I know him, he is a nice guy who tries to help. :)

Regards,
Christian

I was being polite too.

I wasn't certain about the case of the free developer's license for support.

Respectfully,

James

Of course you are polite, James ... no doubt ! :) Unfortunately the no-cost developer edition is self support only. So you can't get support for it by opening a support case ... you can open a support case concerning your personal customer account or the customer portal experience, for example.

Regards,
Christian

Sounds good.

As it stands, I am only updating individual packages as well.

I'll check back in a month or the first status change regarding this.

Best,

James

Pages