Is it possible to install KDE only rhel 7.5

Latest response

Hello All

I'm wondering is it possible to install kde desktop only with rhel 7.5 workstation i prefer not to have multiple desktop environments installed just because i believe its cleaner and more stable and your not seeing gnome applications in your list when your using kde etc

Kind Regards

Ryan

Responses

Hi Ryan,

Interesting question, I don't have the workstation subscription, but I assume you can't choose the desktop environment during the system installation process from within the Anaconda installer - otherwise you wouldn't have asked. So I thought about a possible workaround : Sign up to the developer program, which gives you access to the original Server DVD (it is a "super-set" of all RHEL editions). Download the DVD, select "Minimal install", register the system, attach your subscription and install the "KDE group".
What about that ? Good idea ? Just give it a try ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian

Good to see you again, you can choose the environment during the install but its not an either/or scenario, you get both DE's but if you try to remove gnome it breaks a whole bunch of dependencies and just fails (least it did last time i tried), thought there might be a trick to it.

I have the developer subscription, its running my virtual test server at the minute :)

Hi Ryan,

Nice to see you too - yes I know and agree with you that removing GNOME breaks a lot of stuff in most cases.
Hence I suggested to first install the basic system without any desktop environment and then the KDE group.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Ryan and Christian,

Hope this post finds you well.

I'm trying out this method and I will post my experience trying to upgrade from minimal to KDE only environment. Also, I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on setting up trusted/secure boot on a UEFI machine with discrete TPM 1.2. I tried Intel PTT 2.0 but my GCC seems outdated to compile the latest TPM2-TSS stack and the ones provided by default are outdated and they do not read the PCR values from the chip, so I switched back to TPM 1.2. But, the machine firmware still says "secure boot off" even though the platform was cleared of all encryption keys and the TPM was reset to "configure mode". Appreciate your time and response.

Cheers, Pree

Hi Preetham,

I recommend to turn Secure Boot off ... everything else is too much (worthless) work, Secure Boot hasn't got
much to do with security in it's "real meaning" - for example : when you want to make use of the NVIDIA chip,
you would have to create another trusted module and this regardless whether you are using the open source
nouveau or the the proprietary NVIDIA drivers. Windows (in case it's being installed) will boot nevertheless. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

Thank you for your response, that was pretty fast. There's no windows on this machine. I would not know how to use a windows machine PERIOD :) I think my last interaction with a windows machine had XP Pro or something. I've been a linux user for over a decade and Fedora for the most part has always got me what I wanted to achieve with a native system build. I've been trying out RHEL for the past of couple of months and I'm not surprised with the stability it has to offer over a couple of features that I may have to let-go, as you put it delicately "worthless". From a DE point of view, I've always used KDE and Gnome seems somewhat mundane to me and I'm sure Gnome is a fine DE.

Cheers, Pree.

Hi Preetham,

Thanks for your feedback. Well, if you don't use Windows (same with me), then the only reason for
having Sec Boot activated is gone ... once you got used to how GNOME is intended to be used by
the developers and recognized the advantage of "the DE getting out-of-your-way", you will never
want to miss it. That was my experience at least, I'm running GNOME on CentOS/fedora/RHEL. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Preetham,

Regarding the KDE desktop environment - please note that KDE is deprecated in coming editions of RHEL. :)

Regards,
Christian

KDE, and more importantly Xfce and MATE had better be in the EPEL repo, because I cannot (and will not) live with GNOME 3.x.

I agree with you Ian, if it was up to me, all desktop environments (except GNOME) could be moved to EPEL.
Maybe it will happen in the future once the new repository model coming with RHEL 8 has settled down ... :)

Regards,
Christian

While I would like to agree with you Christian, experience has taught me that things in the EPEL, especially desktops, are often the victims of updating. As an example, Cinnamon Desktop (which many feel is an acceptable alternative to GNOME or KDE) has been broken a couple of times by updates. When RHEL 7.6 was released systems with Cinnamon would not update due to a specific package being obsoleted. When Red Hat was contacted, the response was, "We don't support the EPEL. Please upload a Gig of logs so we can tell you the error message you already saw and told us, but we won't do anything about it." The maintainer did not want to fix it, so users of Cinnamon had the choice of not updating, manually building Cinnamon, or reverting to another Desktop Environment. At one point, Cinnamon was pulled from EPEL because no one wanted to fix it. Fortunately, someone else stepped up to the plate, submitted the needed changes, and Cinnamon was again put back in the EPEL.

But the story doesn't stop there. Just a few days ago, Cinnamon again had a dependency issue, this time with the xapps package version because of the change to python36 instead of python34. A new package was released today, but I do not yet know if this will fix the issue.

I believe that moving all the desktop environments to EPEL will be the equivalent to a death sentence for them on RHEL. They will continue to thrive on Fedora, but will die out on RHEL Workstation/Server.

It really is a shame, because I like the LXQT, but cannot get it to run well with RHEL. With KDE being kicked to the curb, I am very sceptical about the usability of any DE except the "official" one. "You have your car in any color you want as long as it is black."

Frank

Cinnamon is probably the nicest looking GUI around, but it's GNOME underpinnings make it run like a pig, especially virtualized, so learning it has had support issues in EPEL doesn't surprise me at all. I am interested to see if Cinnamon's performance improves in Fedora 30 because the speed improvements to GNOME will probably have filtered to Cinnamon by then.

I am running Xfce and MATE on various CentOS boxes and [touch wood] have not had an issue regarding updates, and both GUIs run very fast, and very reliably [so far].

I have had very bad experiences with LXQT so for the time being I don't class it as production ready. Then again I don't class GNOME 3.x as production ready either, but that's another argument ;)