Post SAN Failure How to Restore VMs?

Latest response

We had a power outage that took down all of our external storage. As a result, everything that was attached went down too. Our ESXi hosts were somewhat tolerant and easy to get going. However, our RHEV machines are not. It may be because I'm not very familiar with RHEV. Of utmost importance is that I was told a few months ago that our RHEV-M database is lost, so we have no connection to a GUI, and everything is command line.

So, rather than having one hypervisor and one management machine, we have 2 hypervisors, both that have domains (virtual machines?). I have a screen shot of running a "virsh -r list" command a few months ago, and both had 8 running domains. Now we have zero. I have rebooted in hopes that it would pick back up the storage that is online, but to no avail.

I restarted the ovirt-engine but that didn't produce fruit. Our domains are not using LVM for storage, but I think they were on external block storage (the suspect SAN). FDISK tells me that it sees what appears to be the raw disks and the /dev/mapper disks where the domains are stored. And on one of the hypervisors I can see disk files in /rhev/data-center/mnt/blockSD but none on the other hypervisor. and there is nothing in /var/run/vdsm/storage.

We're totally down. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Responses