Oracle Java missing, where to find now?

Latest response

Hello,

I currently have a Developer subscription since last year, I have to install a VM with RHEL 7.5 and Oracle JDK, but I can't find the proper channel to get this.

I already see the note where RH points to enable the rhel-7-server-restricted-maintenance-oracle-java-rpms repo, but I get this:

Error: 'rhel-7-server-restricted-maintenance-oracle-java-rpms' does not match a valid repository ID. Use "subscription-manager repos --list" to see valid repositories.

Oracle Java's are now not available for Developer subscriptions?

I don't want to install the package from the Oracle site, because every update I have to download and update manually.

Any Idea on how to get the packages from RH?

Thanks!

Responses

Hi Jorge,

From Will Red Hat provide Oracle Java 8 packages for Red Hat Enterprise Linux versions? -> Oracle Java SE Access Change FAQ :

Q: If I was NOT using Oracle Java SE prior to November 30, 2017, will I be able to download the software and receive support and updates?
A: Access to Oracle Java is based on your subscription status on November 30, 2017. If on that date you had one or more active subscriptions to Red Hat Enterprise Linux or JBoss Middleware products that bundled Oracle Java SE, you are eligible to continue to receive access to the Oracle Java SE software, updates, and support. The Oracle Java SE software will be available to you until November 30, 2018.  

I suggest that you install and use OpenJDK instead. :)

Regards,
Christian

Seriously? If we need to use Oracle Java, there's a reason for it. Otherwise, we wouldn't be using it. I need to figure this out too.

Hi ! :)

You can still install it manually -> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Regards,
Christian

Don't fuss at Red Hat, this change is being driven entirely by Oracle. They have publicly committed to only making future "Oracle Java" updates available to paying customers, though they also claim to be contributing enough code to OpenJDK 11 to make it "100% binary compatible" with Oracle Java.

In my organization, we have lots of paid-for Oracle software, so I have access to Oracle JDK 8 updates via an official "My Oracle Support" account. I've been downloading the new RPMs, signing them with our local PGP key (because the folks at Oracle don't seem to "get" the value of signed RPMs), and adding them to a local custom repository on our Red Hat Satellite server.

"The Oracle Java SE software will be available to you until November 30, 2018."

Does this mean the restricted maintenance channels will be disabled on 11/30/2018 or just that no new packages will be published to it?

Thanks,

Hi Josh, what ever way this gets handled ... expect to not get any proprietary ORACLE Java binaries in the future. :)

Regards,
Christian

Yeah I get this - I think our organization has access to the proprietary RPMs with our Oracle license. I'm not sure OpenJDK is an option for our applications yet, still researching. Thx.

You're welcome, Josh ! :) I assume that OpenJDK will play nicely with your applications, good luck.

Regards,
Christian

I would assume so as well, but I don't know if the application vendors know it. So they probably will say it's not supported and force use of Oracle Java. Fun times ahead. :)

Hi Josh,

You may want to check this new blog article -> Migrating from Oracle JDK to OpenJDK on Red Hat Enterprise Linux: What you need to know ... Quote : Are there known issues or incompatibilities, or does OpenJDK lack something that Oracle JDK has? Oracle JDK 11 and OpenJDK 11 will be interchangeable ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Almost none of the original posters questions have been answered. Quote: I already see the note where RH points to enable the rhel-7-server-restricted-maintenance-oracle-java-rpms repo, but I get this:

Error: 'rhel-7-server-restricted-maintenance-oracle-java-rpms' does not match a valid repository ID. Use "subscription-manager repos --list" to see valid repositories.

Oracle Java's are now not available for Developer subscriptions?

Quote: "The Oracle Java SE software will be available to you until November 30, 2018."

Does this mean the restricted maintenance channels will be disabled on 11/30/2018 or just that no new packages will be published to it?

It is currently not yet 11/30/2018, so how do I get access to this content now? Don't tell me to use OpenJDK, that was NOT my question.

To get the packages from RHN you need to open a ticket with Red Hat support to get access to the new restricted maintenance channels. That's what I had to do anyway. I also only got 4 entitlements to those channels so I had to swap them around Satellite.

That said, that repository will not be updated after 11/30 and your only recourse will be to install OracleJDK manually.

I agree, If we need to use Oracle Java, there's a reason for it. My app run faster, better, more stable with Oracle Java than OpenJDK. With Oracle Java and tomcat I can serve 1000’s of users, with the same configuration and OpenJDK no more than 10 (yes ten users).

I finished installing it manually, because OpenJDK wont work correctly (at least with this app).

Hi Barry and Jorge, where is the problem ? You're free to install and use ORACLE Java by using the original binaries ... correct ? :)

Regards,
Christian

Earlier Satellite 5.8 was getting synced with rhel-7-server-restricted-maintenance-oracle-java channel. Now it is not. Any clues?

As announced in the fall of 2017, the "restricted-maintenance-oracle-java" channel was only available until Nov. 30, 2018. After that date, the only way to obtain the Oracle version of Java is from Oracle.

Hello,

I would like to know which Oracle JDK 7 version is the last available at the date of Nov 30 2018 and that also was available on RedHat Satellite ?

Thanks for your help.