RHEL 7.5 does not allow login

Latest response

Upgraded from RHEL 7.4 to 7.5 couple days ago. all was fine. Performed yum update and now I am unable to login through my gui interface but can see my login screen. When I try, I get a black screen and takes me back to login. I am able to login thru my CLI. When I check journalctl -xe I see a couple thing but nothing too specific.

Responses

Hi Nathan,

Do you have graphics drivers from an external source installed ? Eventually the proprietary NVIDIA drivers ?
In case you have, uninstall the drivers, reboot the system, reinstall the drivers and reboot the system again. :)

Regards,
Christian

how can i do this? I can only use command prompt. Do I need internet activity? the video card is the NVIDIA GeForce 920MX

Hi Nathan,

You have to type the suitable commands into the terminal ... unfortunately you didn't provide any information.
How can we know what you have installed, how can we help without any knowledge about what you've set up ?

Regards,
Christian

Do you have SELinux enabled? I ran into a similar problem because of my user groups in SElinux.

Hi Tony,

Do you recommend to disable SELinux here ? I hope NOT - SELinux is an essential part of Red Hat security ! :)
I appreciate your approach to help, but as log as Nathan doesn't provide more information, we're all guessing.

Regards,
Christian

No, I was going to suggest changing the group of his user to a group that allows gui login.

Good to realize that you don't recommend to disable SELinux, Tony - thanks for clarification ! :)

Regards,
Christian

So yes i am still in my new phase in switching over from windows to linux so yep i believe the title under my name fits well for me in this aspect....newbie. I have some difficulty in locating the video driver files. I went to /lib/modules/3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64/kernel/drivers. As i drill down to determine where the video drivers are i see three locations that i believed to be the driver location: /gpu/drm/*. I find nouveau and radeon in this folder and cannot determine which is the actually video driver to fully test this.

The setup is an Asus laptop P2540UA with: Intel i5 16GB RAM Intel HD 620 graphics (turns out its not nvidia after i dived deeper)

Anything else you would like me to provide? And thanks for the help Christian

You're welcome Nathan, and thank you for providing some details. Now we know that you seem to not have installed any drivers from external sources, good. The intel and the nouveau drivers come pre-installed with RHEL, which means that there is no need to install other video drivers additionally. What I now need to give you further assistance, is the transaction from the yum update process after which you could not login to the graphical user interface any more.

Please execute sudo yum history, this shows the transactions with the corresponding ID. Select the ID of the transaction after which the problem occurred : sudo yum history info ID (replace ID with the number). Please report the output you received. Hopefully we can find the culprit and solve the problem afterwards.

Regards,
Christian

I ran the sudo yum history command and it reported back:

13 | nathan ... | 2018-04-12 00:09 | Install | 1 12 | nathan ... | 2018-04-12 00:09 | Install | 5 11 | nathan ... | 2018-04-12 00:08 | Install | 2 10 | nathan ... | 2018-04-12 00:08 | Install | 1 9 | nathan ... | 2018-04-12 00:02 | Install | 15 8 | nathan ... | 2018-04-12 23:56 | E, I, O, U | 514 EE 7 | System | 2018-04-11 23:17 | I, U | 111 EE 6 | nathan ... | 2018-04-07 22:09 | Update | 6 5 | nathan ... | 2018-03-11 14:42 | E, I, U | 111 EE 4 | nathan ... | 2018-01-24 21:55 | I, U| 56 EE 3 | nathan ... | 2017-12-28 23:35 | Install | 1 2 | System | 2017-12-28 23:28 | I, O, U | 190 EE 1 | System | 2017-12-28 22:55 | Install | 1419

Thats what the command shows. hope that helps.

Thanks Nathan, well, it partly helps, but you forgot to run the (more important) second command :
Select the ID of the transaction after which you had the problem : sudo yum history info ID
Example : sudo yum history info 13 (in case that you had the issue after this installation).
I can see that you ran the install command many times on 2018-04-12, so take the correct ID.

Regards,
Christian

well that didnt come out perfect. I hope you can understand that. :(

No, it "didn't come out perfect" indeed, Nathan ... please check out the Formatting Help. :)

Code surrounded in tildes is easier to read

Regards,
Christian

Hello, I am having a very similar issue to Nathan, upon booting the gnome GUI freezes on the gray screen without a sign in option. I also have not changed my graphics drivers from the nouveau drivers. When I check the transaction history it says that the update had a status of *<, so it did not finish. When I run yum history info, I see that many packages were updated, but at the bottom of the output it says, "Packages Skipped: Newer gnome-classic-session-3.26.2.3.el7.noarch Newer gnome-shell-extension-apps-menu-3.26.2-3.el7,noarch Not installed gnome-shell-extension-user-theme-3.26.2-3.el7.noarch

I have also tried to reinstall gnome with yum reinstall gnome-desktop3 yum reinstall gdm

but this gives and error "Error: gnome-settings-daemon conflicts with 1:gdm-3.8.4-27.el7x86_64.

Note I am using a fresh install of red hat 6.0, and the graphics card is a nvidia quadro k420

Hi Zachary,

Do you have the extras and the optional repositories enabled ? If not - enable them :

sudo subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-extras-rpms
sudo subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-optional-rpms

Then execute sudo yum update again and reboot the operating system afterwards.
This should (hopefully) solve your upgrade problem, please report back the results. :)

Regards,
Christain

Hi Nathan,

The same what I told Zachary might be applicable for you as well ... do you have the extras and optional repositories disabled ? :)

Regards,
Christian

I will try this when i get home tonight. I believe i have some optional repositories disabled. So i will double check. I will also run the command on the line 8 command since that looked to have more errors than others.

Thanks for the help christian

You're welcome, Nathan ! :)

I'm glad that you appreciate my efforts to help you getting your problem solved ... good luck ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Christian thank you for your response, I am having trouble enabling those repos, it is telling me the are not valid repository. I looked up this issue and saw this thread https://access.redhat.com/discussions/3327311. I followed your advise on unsubscribing and resubscribing but the repos still are not showing up in my repo list, note I am able to enable other repos that are in my repolist such as sudo subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-workstation-extras-rpms Do you have any idea why these repos aren't showing up?

Oh I have realized that since my subscription is for a workstation not a server the repo names are different. I have enabled the corresponding workstation repos, but unfortunately yum -y update still skips the gnome packages, and the boot up is still getting stuck.

Adding those repos did the trick for me. i did it with the desktop repos not server and my gui has come back.

Thank you Christian for the assistance

Hey Nathan, that's great news ! :) I'm glad that I could help you and that we finally solved that thing.
Of course you have to enable "desktop" repos when you have the desktop edition installed ! :D :D :D

Regards,
Christian

Hello!! I also have a similar issue I just installed RHEL 7.5 then installed the gnome gui, now I cant login as root or as a user

Hi Andrew,

Something must have gone wrong ... reinstall the system - but this time select "Server with GUI" from the
Anaconda installer during the installation process and don't forget to create the users in the next steps. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks for the help it worked

You're welcome, Andrew ... I'm glad that you could achieve what you wanted. :)

Regards,
Christian

Following Christian Labisch's steps worked for me too. Just did a bare metal install of RHEL server 7.6 server with GUI, got the dark screen instead of login and I think what broke the camel's back is my choice to manually attach subscriptions at the Subscription Attachment screen of the post- installation (first boot) process. I luckily have a spare machine from which I used ssh to connect to the newly installed server, used subscription-manager command to attach the available subscription, enable needed repos, updated the new server and reboot. And now it works. Thank you Christian, great advice!

You're welcome, Gjorgi ! I'm glad that it worked successfully for you too. :)

Regards,
Christian