What Installation Source to Use?

Latest response

INSTALLATION SOURCE I began installation from the boot iso. I'm sure there are secondary locations on the web where I can find addresses for this menu (google),

but I'm confused why no standard installation source or repositories are included here or automatically configured.

Where would be the first obvious place assuming you were working with a boot CD and didnt know repository addresses off the top of your head? There is nothing in any of the guides.

Should I just copy the link from the dvd iso or what?

Responses

ALSO once that screen is entered, it is impossible to exit without putting a url in. The radio button "On the network:" is filled by default and cannot be changed.

Why can't I return to the previous screen where I was viewing the alerts in the first place in case I wanted to change the option or install from another iso? Does this mean if I didn't have address info, then I'd have to restart the install process from the beginning???

Hi Aaron,

Is it your goal to load a system using a dvd? Or are you using a mere boot disk to load the system? The boot iso file does not contain the packages necessary to load a system.

Please see this Red Hat article that explains the difference between the mere boot iso and the actual binary dvd https://access.redhat.com/articles/548913. This link here has similar info, but slightly condensed recommend reading them both

Lastly go to this link which goes to developers.redhat.com which has step-by-step instructions with graphics (and use your redhat credentials you made earlier) and that will give you a complete instructional guide (and concurrently download the proper dvd for server, but if you bought workstation, download the binary workstation/desktop/client iso).

Unless you have a "kickstart" server, a PXE server or a Red Hat Satellite server, the boot iso is not sufficient to load the system (again see the link in the previous paragraph).

After you read that - get back with us if necessary and someone ought to chime in and help you

Regards,

RJ

Sorry but did you read my post? I understand all those things. Again, my question was why no installation source or repository addresses are offered during the install with the boot image. I also wanted to get a feel for how, beside googling third party info, I could find the proper addresses for those fields (see pic), because the info isn't in the installation guides, and trying to chop urls from the http resources on the page ain't working. There are plenty of other mirrors I could look up, but I'm looking for the info from Red Hat.

Thanks for the dev links tho. Still those guides all assume you are using a full image whether installing on bare metal or virtualized.

I already got the dvd iso and completed an install, but I still want to know in case I use a boot only image again.

Seriously, I have searched the site. The gist is I want to know what I don't know that I'm asking: why aren't the addresses listed somewhere in the integral install/get started docs I've looked at, since it's obviously the very first thing you encounter? In fact why the hell don't they self populate with updated links like every other package manager I've ever seen?

Totally sympathize with you. Any boot 546MB boot ISO I've dealt with also did a basic OS install (at least) - with an option to point to an additional source. But to trap you inside the installer like this with no explanation- poor adherence to established usability guidelines.

Hi Aaron,

"Sorry but did you read my post? I understand all those things." Not the most friendly way (IMHO) to respond to RJ's help attempt. The topic is quite clear (IMHO again) : On the network does not mean a public website address, it means a local network you might want to use. Generally you need the DVD.iso, which contains everything, so just use that. The boot.iso is meant to be used in cases when you've placed the content of the DVD on your local network in order to use it for the installation of several server systems on your infrastructure. By the way, the difference compared to other distributions is that Red Hat doesn't offer a 'Live installation iso'.

Regards,
Christian

Ok. That answers my question. I understand now it was not meant as a live installation iso. I'm blunt and honest, but I still show my appreciation. I felt like I was getting a cookie cutter response or a template. I appreciate both thorough explanations. I been looking for a community where people don't answer questions like the last 3 forums I been to: "You should have no need to edit/execute [insert file]." That isn't helpful.

Hi Aaron,

You're welcome ! I'm glad that you appreciate our assistance. This community is quite different to other "forums", here we really try to help users by providing them with best possible answers and instructions to their questions and we always do our best in order to getting problems solved ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Aaron,

Sorry I missed the intent of your question. We get people who come to this forum who often mistake a boot iso for when they really need a binary dvd. Your question initially seemed to fit that highly recurring question. so sorry I missed that, but check out the info I gave which explains it more (EDITED the link below in this specific reply).

[edited] I read your post, but the boot disk is a means to do an installation either using a web/ftp/nfs repository you create in advance and possibly with something called a kickstart where you have pre-provisioned a full yum repo from a binary disk in advance, such as what is written at this Red Hat documentation with the very graphic you provided.

I do the same thing as you are describing, but I've never used a boot iso for any install. Using a repository is soemthing can be done within a kickstart which is what I do. But you will have to establish the source yourself. I instead either use PXE servers I have created or use a kickstart file where I have already set up a network visible repository by nfs, http or ftp. However you could certainly make your own pre-provisioned yum repository in advance and then point your boot disk install to it.

You'll have to make an install source that you've provisioned and that you have verified access. You can use that method you took a screenshot of (see that link I gave), or make a kickstart (use yum -y install system-config-kickstart then run system-config-kickstart added and add a line in the kickstart file to point to your pre-provisioned source you created in advance.

Red Hat to my knowledge doesn't offer online repositories for people to build from a boot iso, you'd have to create one for yourself, using your own resources.

Regards,

RJ

last post edited (yet again, later)

Hey Hinton. Thanks for the info and for taking another look at this for me. I have experience using pxe and kickstart but I haven't used Redhat -much- or done remote installations since many releases (honestly since the the installation program was text based with 8 bit colors).

Gladly Aaron,

Come back if needed/as needed and we'll try to pay attention to what you're dealing with to attempt to give you some good help, we'll try,

Kind Regards,

RJ