New to Satellite 6.2.X DHCP Provisioning questions

Latest response

Hello,

I'm trying to learn Satellite server and I have gotten as far a being able to provision a host using host discovery method. What I don't like about Host discovery method is the fact that I need to manually create the VM and then having to mount the ISO. My needs are to be able to provision in AWS and the On premise Vmware Environment. The issues I am running into is that it seems that Satellite requires DHCP and DNS installed but this can present a problem and I was hoping someone could give me an idea as to how to best set this up.

My current setup has my Satellite server in the same vlan as our DHCP server which is a windows server which leads to my first question.

1) Should my SAT server be in its own vlan?
2)How can I get around the whole DHCP and DNS issue if we already have these services in our environment, why exactly does the SAT server have to be a DHCP and DNS server?
3) Can someone please explain the whole concept of subnets in SAT server and if do provision a system in a subnet that already has a DHCP scope and DNS being provided by a Microsoft server will it present an issue?
4) I'm open to the easiest suggestions as possible and keep in mind I will need to provision in AWS as well.

Thanks!

Responses