How To Tell If cdn-sync Is Working Correctly?

Latest response

Hi,

Just upgraded our Satellite to 5.8. Activated new manifest successfully. When I run cdn-sync the only output I see is:

sudo cdn-sync -v
12:04:16 Total time: 0:00:00

How can I confirm this command is working correctly? satellite-sync took an hour or more to run even when there were no updates.

Thanks!

Jim

Responses

Hi Jim,

Check for new content on your channels.

cdn-sync takes far less time than satellite-sync - Satellite 5.8 cdn-sync Performance

Thanks for the reply. The cdn-sync command works as expected if I specify a single channel, but the expected behavior when executing just "cdn-sync" is that all channels will be synced. This is not happening and I will open a support case to resolve the problem. Thanks again.

I'm also curious about this..... just upgraded to v5.8. Being that I am used to the slow sync times, to run the new cmd and have it spit out a prompt in a couple of seconds actually makes me feel like something didn't actually happen.

The -v option doesn't provide any verbose output when I use it.
[user@satellite]$ sudo cdn-sync
15:32:20 Total time: 0:00:00

[user@satellite]$ sudo cdn-sync -v
15:32:23 Total time: 0:00:00

I would have more of a warm fuzzy feeling if there was more of an output/descriptor given, like "Channel X has no updates..., skipping"

UPDATE: Looks like the cmd is fine, but you MUST use the -c option for the channels you wish to sync. Here is what I ran:

sudo cdn-sync -c rhel-x86_64-server-5 -c rhn-tools-rhel-x86_64-server-5 -c rhel-x86_64-server-6 -c rhel-x86_64-server-optional-6 -c rhel-x86_64-server-supplementary-6 -c rhn-tools-rhel-x86_64-server-6 -c rhel-x86_64-server-7 -c rhel-x86_64-server-extras-7 -c rhel-x86_64-server-optional-7 -c rhel-x86_64-server-supplementary-7 -c rhn-tools-rhel-x86_64-server-7 --email

specifying the channels is only needed for the initial sync, after that cdn-sync will sync previously synced channels. See https://blog.delouw.ch/2017/06/21/new-features-in-satellite-5-8/

This would be helpful if it was included in the UPGRADE instructions by Red Hat.. as well as modifying and cron jobs to change it to 'cdn-sync' ..

Yes, the fact that no channel actually sync's after upgrade without running each channel is probably going to leave quite a few 5.8'ers thinking they are protected when in fact they are not.

Luc De Louw's blog was nice enough to have this:

rhnsat:~# for i in $(spacecmd -u admin -p secret -q softwarechannel_listbasechannels); do cdn-sync -c $i; done

rhnsat:~# for i in $(spacecmd -u admin -p secret -q softwarechannel_listchildchannels); do cdn-sync -c $i; done

I'd like to say this saved me a bunch of time but the initial channel sync's after upgrade are still running (5 hrs and rolling)