Please Help - NVIDIA Driver installation on RedHat 7.3 | ThinkPad P51

Latest response

Trying to evaluate Red Hat Enterprise Workstation, but got stuck at the very beginning - external monitor is not working via bundled driver, and I'm unable to install NVIDIA driver. Have tried to follow:

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1155663

and ELRepo:

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=61162&sid=b4864e4432040e23aa746d10bba7c50a

on 7.3 and 7.4 beta, but the result is still the same - boot hangs somewhere around:

[OK] Started GNOME Display Manager
[OK] Started Visualization daemon
[OK] Started Postfix mail transport agent

HW is fine, Mint XFCE (second SSD) is working flawlessly using NVIDIA Driver.

Conf:

ThinkPad P51 Quadro Workstation
Xeon E3-1535M v6
NVIDIA Quadro M2200
RAM 64GB ECC

Any ideas?

qarry's picture

Responses

Hi !

First remove every NVIDIA software you currently have installed and reboot the system afterwards.
Then add the RPM Fusion repositories to the software sources and switch to a non-graphical login :
(Important note : EPEL repository has to be enabled - before you enable RPM Fusion repositories !)

sudo rpm -ivh https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm
sudo rpm -ivh https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/rpmfusion-free-release-7.noarch.rpm
sudo rpm -ivh https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-7.noarch.rpm

sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target
sudo reboot

Once you access the non-graphical login, install the NVIDIA drivers and the prerequisites :
Execute sudo yum install kernel-devel and then sudo yum install akmod-nvidia
Even though it seems the second command has finished, it has not - wait a few minutes ...
Then reboot the operating system in order to activate the drivers, execute : sudo reboot

Switch back to a graphical login and use the system :
sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target
sudo reboot

Cheers :)
Christian

Minor item here : a fresh install of RHEL 7.4 Workstation does not include a compiler and it may be necessary to "yum install kernel-devel gcc". Even so this won't work ( at least today ) because :

# date 
Tue Dec  5 18:40:13 GMT 2017
# yum install akmod-nvidia
Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: 2:xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-384.98-1.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-nonfree-updates)
           Requires: vulkan-filesystem
yum can be configured to try to resolve such errors by temporarily enabling
disabled repos and searching for missing dependencies.
To enable this functionality please set 'notify_only=0' in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/search-disabled-repos.conf

Error: Package: 2:xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-384.98-1.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-nonfree-updates)
           Requires: vulkan-filesystem
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
#

So that is broken.

Hi Christian,

Thank you for help!

Did fresh 7.3 install, update all & reboot, had to install epel-release from extras to be able to add the RPM Fusion repositories, but got stuck when trying to install akmod-nvidia, please see stderr file below:

Error downloading packages: libvdpau-1.1-2.el7.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try. 1:xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-kmodsrc-375.26-10.el7.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try. kmodtool-1-23.el7.1.noarch: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try. rpmdevtools-8.3-5.el7.noarch: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try. 1:akmod-nvidia-375.26-1.el7.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try. akmods-0.5.6-1.el7.noarch: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try. 1:xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-375.26-10.el7.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try. vulkan-filesystem-1.0.51.0-1.el7.noarch: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try. 1:xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-375.26-10.el7.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try. 1:libglvnd-0.2.999-14.20170308git8e6e102.el7.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Hi !

I didn't mention to add EPEL, because you said that you tried the drivers from that repo in your post and that is also the reason why I didn't mention to install the kernel-devel packages as a prerequisite. I assumed that you already installed them. I updated my answer accordingly - and the errors seem to be a connection issue on RPM Fusion side.

Christian

Hi Christian,

Have made fresh install prior following you howto, cause haven't had EPEL this time. Do you think that the updated howto may change the result - I mean frozen boot? If so, I would need to reinstall again, I'm afraid, as now I'm only able to boot text mode, via editing grub entry.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

If you did not install the kernel-devel packages prior to the drivers installation, then this could be the reason why it did not work properly, so yes - a clean installation of the system would be the best option to succeed in having a perfectly running operating system, but you can try if reinstallation of the NVIDIA drivers is sufficient of course.

Good luck,
Christian :)

Have tried again, and been able to install akmod-nvidia this time. Unfortunately the result is the same - "graphical" boot hangs at:

[OK] Started GNOME Display Manager [OK] Started Visualization daemon

You probably have two graphics devices, Intel and Nvidia? If unsure, you can easily find that out by installing the nvidia-detect package from ELRepo and run it. If your laptop indeed has the NVIDIA Optimus graphics, then try and see if you can disable the Intel one through the BIOS.

If this is not possible, you may want to use the bumblebee package from ELRepo.

Yes, the laptop does have two graphics devices, Intel and Nvidia, just as I don't need integrated graphics, Intel is disabled in the BIOS since the very beginning. So this is not the case, but thank you anyway :)

I have a feeling that something went wrong during the system installation process. Generally the pre-installed open source nouveau drivers work flawlessly out-of-the-box and should detect the external monitor - but when you say, the proprietary NVIDIA drivers also don't work as expected, you may want to consider restarting over from scratch.

Hi Christian,

Have made some testing:

1. External monitor via nouveau drivers doesn't work in RHEL nor in the Mint Xfce - behavior is the same, both screens black, and the only way out is hard reset

2. Have reinstalled the system, followed your how-to immediately after the install - graphical boot frozen. Then reinstall again updated all the packages, reboot and followed how-to - boot frozen again.

3. Have made some more research and seemed to that RHEL supports 375.26 NVIDIA driver, whereas my Xfce is running fine on 375.66 driver.

Suppose this may be the case as laptop card NVIDIA Quadro M2200M is not on the list of 375.26 supported product. Is there way how to install 375.66 driver?

Thank you,

Petr

Hi Peter,

I've thought about the whole situation and which alternative solution might succeed and work properly for you. Of course you can try to install the NVIDIA drivers the way it has been described and suggested by Jan Gerrit, but you may run into several (other) problems, right as many users before. I support users who are having trouble to get the proprietary NVIDIA drivers properly working on various different Linux systems successfully for many years, most of them have a GEFORCE GTX GPU and maybe this special Quadro M2200M GPU is the culprit, but I can't imagine that it'll not be possible to get it working with an external monitor - so, I'm providing you with two additional suggestions.

First suggestion :

You said earlier that you have disabled the intel graphics in BIOS, please re-enable it and install the system without the NVIDIA drivers. The hardware is designed to work with a hybrid graphics solution and the open source nouveau drivers support this NVIDIA Optimus technology perfectly, which is something that most users don't know. No need to install anything like bumblebee (an outdated and not maintained software) additionally. The only valid reason to install the NVIDIA drivers is when the demand for high performance graphics comes in - such as high performance gaming tasks, which I think is not the main approach when you want to work with Red Hat Enterprise Linux, right ?

Second suggestion :

Keep both graphics enabled - install the system and NVIDIA drivers again, this time with nouveau drivers disabled.

Start the notebook and select the RHEL entry in the GRUB boot menu ... then press the E key.
Add nouveau.modeset=0 at the end of the linux line. Press the F10 key to boot the system.
Do not miss to set a space between the last letter in the linux line and nouveau.modeset=0.

Use this method until the NVIDIA drivers are successfully installed, afterwards you don't have to add the parameter anymore. By the way, the fact that you can install the system - even though the intel graphics are disabled - shows that the nouveau drivers are working, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the anaconda installer at all.

Christian

Hi Peter,

I am used to download the self extracting shell script installer from the nVidia website. This requires you to start the server or laptop in runlevel 3. This can be done by interrupting the boot sequence at the grub screen. add the number 3 at the end of the linux16 line CRTL+X to continue booting If you get a login screen, you can continue from there. You will have to download the driver from the website http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and choose the Graphics card NVIDIA Quadro M2200M, select all operating systems, for Linux 64-bits is not in the preferred list. Finally you will get to the download page. You will need a scp client on Windows to upload the driver installer to the Laptop.

sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.66.run and answer the questions the installer asks. I tested it on RHEL 6.9 server and it works fine for me, after blacklisting the noveau driver. I did this both on a Dell Laptop as on a Lenovo thinkstation workstation.

The drivers provided with the ELrepo and EPEL rpm's I did not get to work either.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Hi Jan,

Sounds optimistic, hope it will works for me too. Will try it when have some more time to reinstall again, and will let you know! :)

Thank you,

Peter

Hi again !

Just wanna say : read the instructions carefully in case you install the drivers this way.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/375.66/README/index.html

Christian

Hi Christian,

Thank you for update!

Actually " demand for high performance graphics" is the case. Not because of games though, but using Darktable to work with the RAW files and VMware | Capture One, Photoshop and Premiere. This is not the primary purpose of this machine, yes, but still.. When I'm on the way, and not able to work on High Performance desktop.

Generally the performance is the primary reason why want to give RHEL a chance - Xfce is fast, but after a week or so running on the P51 starting to be sluggish. Using 10 workspaces, over 50 apps and browser tabs running alongside, suspect it has something to do with the memory handling, when is reaching the machine RAM limit 62G. As I have seen that RHEL is P51 certified, wanted to check if the performance will be better here. Now looks a bit strange that P51 have RHEL cert at all. At least looks like no one have tried to attach external display during certification process :)

OK, will do more attempts later.

Many thanks for help!

Peter

Hi Peter,

Now that you have provided these additional usage details, I strongly recommend to install fedora workstation instead. The final of the new edition 26 is planned for release in a few days. I am using fedora 25 as my daily driver and tested the installation of the latest NVIDIA drivers some days ago.

Everything went flawlessly without any issues, install the NVIDIA drivers exactly how I explained it in my first post, just replace yum with dnf in the commands. You know, fedora is the 'lab' of what later becomes RHEL, fedora and GNOME are sponsored by Red Hat. Expect to get the 'latest and greatest' software, which lets you run everything smoothly and fast and fedora 25 is one of the best operating systems I have ever used, it is not as stable as RHEL of course - but I did not experience any problem.

Christian

OK, thank you, will have a look :) just noticed that the comment below have changed - means shouldn't try rawhide repository install?

"Just want to let you know that drivers version 375.66 is available in the RPM Fusion rawhide repository. Install it by running :sudo yum --enablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide install akmod-nvidia"

As I said in my reply above, I tested the latest drivers on fedora workstation and forgot that the RPM Fusion rawhide repository can be used on fedora systems only (AFAIK). That's the reason why I removed the installation command. :)

OK, many thanks! :)

You're welcome Peter ! :)

Hi Christian, Jan,

Have installed Fedora 26 beta, but hasn't been able to boot - after entering password got just black screen. Well that's beta for. Then installed Fedora 25, system crashed when external monitor attached (after install & update). Have had some difficulties to enable rawhide, but found this detailed howto just for Fedora 25:

https://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/

Have installed 375.66 NVIDIA driver, and the external monitor is finally working! :)

The rest seems to be piece of cake, already installed VMware and most of the programs I use, looks like the majority program I use are already in the Fedora software repositories. Compare to Xfce Fedora feels a bit slower, but have already removed some unnecessary services, noatime etc. and is getting better.

So looks good and problem solved :)

Thank you for help!

Peter

Was this helpful?

We appreciate your feedback. Leave a comment if you would like to provide more detail.
It looks like we have some work to do. Leave a comment to let us know how we could improve.
Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.