kernel upgrade issues - initramf not updating

Latest response

I have been trying to update kernel which is about 10 versions behind the current. I downloaded all the kernel patches onto a cdrom as my RHEL 6.7 server is a stand-alone and not connected to the internet. I used yum update kernel-.rpm and reboot and get kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root partition error when it tries to boot to the new kernel. Ok, so I booted to the pervious version, typed yum reinstall kernel-.rpm and reboot. Same error. I get back into in in the pervious kernel version and type: yum remove kernel-.rpm and get: kernel-.rpm is not installed. Type rpm -q kernel and I can see it listed, but I can't uninstall it. So, I checked the initramf file in /boot and the only when there is the initramf-.img. So in the /boot/grub/grub.conf file the new kernel has no initrd /initramf-.img. After researching I discover that I can manually build the correct initramf file in /boot to solve this problem by running: dracut -f -v. Now when I run dracut I get an error: failed to install /lib/libsoftokn3.so. What is this? Also, since I am performing the kernel updates manually do I need to install just the kernel-.rpm patch or kernel-headers-.rpm, kernel-devel-.rpm, etc.?

Thanks

Responses