From Satellite 5 channels clones to Satellite 6 content views ?

Latest response

Hello,

so far we have been using Satellite 5 mainly to keep our servers up to date. I have installed Satellite 6 some time ago and wanted to migrate our typical workload from Sat 5. What do I mean by typical workload ?
On Sat 5, at some point in time, we usually have test, uat, preprod, nfr and prod servers assigned to channel i.e.: 20160101. Similar channels have been created automatically by spacewalk-clone-by-date every month.
Then we assign all test servers from test group to i.e.: channel called 20160601, upgrade them, test them for a while and then we do the same with oat, preprod and prod server. I guess this is typical for most of you :-)
For us it is very flexible and not very time consuming because at any point of time (even out of schedule) we can assign any server (or group of servers) to a new channel and upgrade them. Of course we can apply erratas to existing channels but we prefer not to because by comparing repository name which is the server connected to we know the level of patches. In general this workload is channel-oriented.
Now in Sat 6 we have content view. What would be the best approach in case of Sat 6 to have the same flexibility ? Create content view for each "channel" (using Sat 5 words) ? Any another approach ? I am not sure about this approach because we have also the environments in Sat 6. In our case some "line" of servers have their uat, preprod and prod representatives but other "line" of servers exists only in uat, nfr and prod (and some only in test and dev with no production servers). So if I create content view I promote it between environments one by one but some servers needs to (and can) be upgraded ahead of the others and not wait for the promotion process to be finished - quite complex requirements ;-) .
So how do I combine content views and environments to have similar workload as in Satellite 5 ?

Responses