Ongoing virt-who unreliability

Latest response

For a utility that is essentially akin to license DRM, I was expecting that Red Hat would put some effort into making sure virt-who worked seamlessly to limit impact to end users.

I am now working through another list of issues with this tool which is stopping it from updating host to guest mappings in RHN which results in guests being marked as unlicensed. It appears something has broken recently and version 16 is currently returning the following error, without anything else meaningful/useful:

File "/usr/share/virt-who/manager/subscriptionmanager/subscriptionmanager.py", line 197, in hypervisorCheckIn
    except rhsm_connection.RateLimitExceededException as e:
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'RateLimitExceededException'

I attempted to downgrade to version 12, it had a different error, then downgraded to version 10 and it stopped working altogether. In an attempt to resolve the issue (due to bugs found when searching for the errors) I attempted to build an RPM for version 17 from upstream and it appears that the build scripts for version 17 are now broken and no longer build cleanly on RHEL 6.

I am interested to know when I can expect an official build of version 17 for RHEL 6 from Red Hat? in the hope it will resolve the ongoing issues.

Is anyone currently using virt-who successfully? if so, which version, hypervisor and OS platform?

Responses