Discussion forum responses - formatting broken

Latest response

It appears that posts in the discussion forum are not correctly formatted anymore?

Carriage returns, numbered lists etc. all appear to be stripped/ignored which makes the posts difficult to read.

Is anyone else having this issue?

1. Item 1
  2. Item 2

-edit-

It only appears to affect responses, main comments are fine.

Responses

Text Line 1 Text Line 2

1. Item 1
  2. Item 2

For enhanced security, HTML is no longer allowed in comments, only in the body of posts. Exceptions to this are links with anchor text and code blocks.

James, we're just trying to use "Markdown" as defined in the Red Hat URL provided below... not HTML. Also, when you either start a new post, or reply to someone's reply, there's a link at the bottom right called Formatting Help that brings up a pop-up showing what's accepted as markup by Redhat. Additionally, embedded in that pop-up (within this discussion group's replies or comments), there's yet another link going to Red Hat's fuller explanation for use of "Markdown" (not HTML) that leads to https://access.redhat.com/help/markdown. We have no wish to use HTML here, but to continue to use the "Markdown" that is supposed to be available as it was in the past. See Pixel's description above.

Main Comment Using "markdown help" from Red Hat URL https://access.redhat.com/help/markdown

1. ordered list item 1
  2. ordered list item 2
Header 1 Header 2 Content 1 Content 3 Content 2 Content 4
  • list item A

this is a code block under list item A.
    Note: you must indent 8 spaces for this code block.

1. indented list item 1

this is a code block under indented list item 1.
      Note: you must indent 12 spaces for this code block.

and also you would like to put another code block under same level (Note: you must start this line with indent 8 spaces):

this is another code block under indented list item 1.

2. indented list item 2

this is a code block under indented list item 2.
      Note: you must also indent 12 spaces for this code block.

Reply to my own comment, using same markdown code as above... Main Comment Using "markdown help" from Red Hat URL https://access.redhat.com/help/markdown
1. ordered list item 1 2. ordered list item 2

below has eight spaces before each item
ordered list item 1  (eight spaces preceding this item, copied from markdown URL above)
ordered list item 2 (eight spaces preceding this item, copied from markdown URL above)
Header 1 Header 2 Content 1 Content 3 Content 2 Content 4
  • list item A

this is a code block under list item A.
    Note: you must indent 8 spaces for this code block.

1. indented list item 1

this is a code block under indented list item 1.

and also you would like to put another code block under same level (Note: you must start this line with indent 8 spaces):

this is another code block under indented list item 1.

2. indented list item 2

this is a code block under indented list item 2.
      Note: you must also indent 12 spaces for this code block.

The table markdown that I attempted to add above didn't work at all: (encapsulating in three tildes below)

Header 1  | Header 2
--------- | ---------
Content 1  | Content 3
Content 2  | Content 4

The above should have produced a table in my previous examples.

Pixel, I seem to see similar issues as what you are experiencing. Much of what I put above was from that "markdown" url at Red Hat's website.

In short, much of the "Markdown" (not HTML) features that are supposed to work (and previously worked) within the discussion area no longer work, see this link https://access.redhat.com/help/markdown for what "Markdown" is, and how it is supposed to be able to work within the discussion area.

Yep, I found that code blocks work but everything else seems broken.

How is it a security feature if I can still use HTML/Markdown in a post but not in comments?

Can you at least bring back carriage returns? trying to read long comment responses is ridiculous without them.

+1 to the rapid return of carriage returns

To my knowledge, carriage returns should still work. I will check into this point. It enhances security because most content types (all but discussions) are only editable by internal associates. It's not perfect, but it's better. As always, thanks for your input and I'll reply back about carriage returns.

Hi James,

The original input regarding security concerns Yesterday at 11:34 AM EST that you mentioned was in the context of HTML. We're just saying that the Markdown formatting is not functioning as it did previously.

As I mentioned previously, we have zero interest in pushing HTML into discussion comments, but just to be able to use Markdown. Is the security concern you've briefly touched on regarding this for Markdown or HTML? or the resultant HTML that would be generated as a result of one's use of Markdown?

If it is the former (Markdown), and not the latter (HTML), then we're just hoping we can have the use of Markdown just for the sake of formatting. If it is the latter (the HTML resulting from the use of Markdown), then I can understand your mentioning the security interest.

Well, that was quick :) It appears the carriage return issue is a known bug and the fix will go out with the next CP release.

Thanks James, "carriage returns" will be a welcome "return". and I suspect from the brevity of your reply, it was the latter, understood.

thanks

This is indeed a known issue and will be fixed in the next release.