boot loader fails to install for RHEL 6.7

Latest response

I have gone through the motions a few times and thus far RHEL 6.7 fails to boot after the install. I get nothing but a black screen and a flashing cursor. The install is being done from a USB key with the RHEL 6.7 boot image on it and the whole install seems to go fine from the USB key. However, at the end of the process I get asked where to install the boot loader and I select the master boot record of the first disk. I then see a big warning pop up box that says it could not install the boot loader and to click exit to exit the installation. Which is exactly what happens, the whole install process bails out and the system reboots. I remove the USB key and what I eventually get is a blank black screen with a flashing cursor.

Since RHEL uses the old GRUB loader there must be a way to manually install the boot loader ? Is there something broken in the RHEL boot install image on the USB key ?

Something entirely obvious that I am missing here?

A few details, this machine has a LSI Logic 1068E internal SAS controller and four disks. The first two disks are new Seagate 2TB disks in a RAID 1 mirror and the next two disks are two old 80G SAS disks in another RAID ! mirror. I hardly see how that matters as the partition process and format stage of install seems to run fine but there simply is no way to boot after the install.

signed , baffled dc

Responses