Yum repo URL for Boot ISO installation

Latest response

Hello,

Downloading the complete RHEL 7 Desktop DVD takes forever, so I went for the way lighter Boot ISO but...
There's no Installation Source configured so Installation won't go on and I'm stuck at the last screen with the "Begin installation" button disabled.

I need at least one valid URL for a proper RHEL 7 Desktop yum repository, so I can configured it and proceed with the installation.

Any hints? :)

Thanks,
William

Responses

Quoting from the Installation Guide:

boot.iso
    A minimal boot image which can be used to boot the installation program, 
but requires access to additional package repositories from which software 
will be installed. Red Hat does not provide such a repository; you must 
create it using the full installation ISO image. 

If what you are inferring is true, then why the "RHEL 7.1 Boot ISO" I downloaded from the same page where I can download the "RHEL 7.1 Binary DVD" from, has an Installation program which automatically starts when I boot the image, and that Installation program requires a repo URL to continue with the installation?

Hey William, I do not know this for certain (and you're not going to like this answer, I'm afraid) but a network-based installation requires the installation bits to be hosted somewhere (which I am sure you already know). I have never seen a public URL for content for installation, like other variants. (I am now curious though and will try to look in to this). You might want to open a ticket to ask Support whether there is a public repo.

In my case, I download the entire DVD and then mount it so that it is web-accessible and point my installation at that directory (I build tons of systems for testing).

From RHEL 7 Installation Guide - Network Install

inst.repo=http://10.32.5.1/mnt/archive/RHEL-7/7.x/Server/x86_64/os/

Thanks James, then I guess the download page could be a little more clear :)

I guess the download page could be a little more clear :)

Fair enough ;-) Having been on both sides of the fence (as a customer and Red Hatter) I can assure you it can be tough to have the right perspective in mind when preparing docs (i.e. to put yourself in someone else's shoes). However, I know they are very receptive to suggested updates to the docs and web pages ;-)

I am continuing to look for an answer though. It would be great if the end-user could provide their RHN credentials and then point at a "public" repo for a network-based install.

Thanks Akemi, this really helped. Need the full DVD iso or network repo url to proceed with the installed.

Doesn't the RHEL webpage create a "tokenized" (for lack of a better word) URL for each download? Maybe there's a way of achieving something similar for a public network-install URL.

Lost quite some time on this one >.<

The web pages really need clarification, as does the help text you get in the installation screen. It should just flat out say "there is no URL provided by RedHat you can enter here, you must download the DVD images and either boot from them or put them somewhere accessible on your network." Then it can go on to explain how to tell the installer where to look for them on your network.

Better, of course, would be to actually provide a working URL to customers with support contracts. I did not even consider the possibility that RedHat would not do so. Every other linux distribution I've worked with does.

Totally sympathize with you. Any boot 546MB boot ISO I've dealt with also did a basic OS install (at least) - with an option to point to an additional source. But to trap you inside the installer like this with no explanation- poor adherence to established usability guidelines.

The download page definitely needs a clarification on this point. A single line of text regarding the limitations of each option would suffice.

This is a pretty huge UX failure.

Hello, I have raised a bug asking for "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 Boot ISO" to be changed to "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 Boot ISO (Requires additional repositories. See Installation Guide for Network Installation.)"

That won't help clarify things. The posters here think they are trying to do "a network install", and are still going to be wondering what URL to put in. You should instead change the description to something like "Linux 7.4 Minimal Boot ISO (Requires local software repository.)" The key here is the word "local", which will clue people in to the fact that there is no RedHat provided repository that can be used.

Hello, how about "Linux 7.4 Minimal Boot ISO (Requires local repository. See Installation Guide)".

Trying to keep it short but encourage the reader to see the Network Install section of the Installation Guide. I suppose a footnote could be added if more verbose information is required.

Hi Stephen,

That sounds good. +1

That sounds good to me.

This would be better. +1

So I have the exact same issue as the originally stated issue. What is the exact download/download verbage that we need from the downloads page for the "entire DVD" in relation to the first comment made by James Radtke?

Thanks,

Jake

Having just done the install, I can report that the minimum requirement for installing RedHat Linux is the first of the two "binary DVD" images. You don't need the "supplementary" one if you have a contract, since once you've installed from the first you can register the machine and use yum to install everything else. I'm guessing you'd want the second one if you were doing an eval and didn't have a contract yet, but I'm not sure.

hi Please send me RHLE7.0 DVD Download exact Link.

Because of the way the redhat download page works, there is no way to give you a direct link (they expire). The description I posted is the best I can do.

I just ran into this same issue, so I hope to add some encouragement to change the wording since after nine months the download page still says nothing about needing a local repository installed.

I might also add that there is nothing indicating the difference between "DVD iso" and "RHEL". The DVD is RHEL, is it not? The "RHEL" item also does not indicate the size as the "Boot iso" and "DVD iso" lines do.

Hello, I have raised the priority of the bug opened for this issue and linked back to your comment. Sorry its a private bug (the default for internal tools).

Edit: Bug 1481601

Hello, I could not see where it says "DVD iso". I looked on this page: https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/69/ver=/rhel---7/7.5/x86_64/product-software

I see the size under each download button. Was it another page you were looking at?

Thank you

I just went down this rabbit hole also and am creating boot media for the DVD now. I think it is a fairly natural mistake that we could correct with some documentation.

I reckon Rhel can make exception here and provide a public repository in this case, or at least allow the community to maintain one .

RHEL8 installation - the same cause, nothing has changed.

RHEL 8 Final / Release - same problem, URL is still empty when trying to install.

I'm happy that anything is working at all. Thus far I have been looking at RHEL 8 all day long and even setup a nice big fat vm inside my ESXi VMware environment and it has been a horror show all day long with it. Would be nice to test it on some dedicated hardware with 10Gbit interfaces and LACP but as a developer workstation thus far it has been a joke all day long.

Hi Everyone,

I’m part of the Customer Content Services (CCS) group in Red Hat, and while I’m not part of the group that is responsible for updating the Customer Portal Downloads page, I am hoping that with your help I can forward your feedback to the right team so we can resolve this issue. I’d also like to ensure that if an update is required for the installation documentation, that we can discuss it here.

From what I can tell, the main topic is that the Customer Portal Downloads page, for example https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/479/ver=/rhel---8/8.0/x86_64/product-software does not provide enough information on the differences between the ISOs that are available for download. This could be corrected with a high-level description under each ISO. Is this correct? Am I missing anything else that needs to be addressed?

I’m looking forward to your responses and to working with you to get this resolved.

Kind regards,

Sharon.

Hi Sharon,

I recommend making it not being too complicated ... users tend to not read longer pieces of text carefully.
Most important is a notification that the DVD.iso is needed to install the system, regardless whether using
the direct way by creating boot media or by using the boot.iso to install the system from a local network. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hello Sharon, see Bug 1481601, thank you.

Thanks, Stephen. Kind regards, Sharon.

Hi Christian,

Thanks for responding and I agree with you - the more concise, the better.
I'll route this request to the appropriate team and will get back with an update as soon as I can.

Kind regards, Sharon.

You're welcome, Sharon ! Thank you for your efforts to improve the instructions on the download portal. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hello,

A quick update to let you know that a review of the Downloads section of the Customer Portal (including accommodating the request in this discussion) is currently under way. While the timeline for completion is not yet know, an update will be provided as soon as it is available.

Kind regards,

Sharon.

Thanks for the information, Sharon ! :)

You're very welcome, Christian :-)