JBoss EAP 6.3 - Domain Mode - Disaster Recovery

Latest response

Hi guys,

I have a question about disaster recovery of DomainManager.
This is my scenario:
one server Master - DomainManager where I expose the WebConsole and CLI
two servers Slave - Connected to Master. Every server has a few of Configuration names in a few of Server Group

Our servers are located into two different geographic server farms because if a server farm go down the second one provides the service, but the problem is this: we have only one server Master.

I read the documentation about the "Command line parameters" and I saw that it is possible to execute the service with the switch "--backup" to take a local copy of the configuration but in my configuration I execute the service with a windows service and I can't use the "--backup" switch.

The questions are:
Is it possible to backup the entire directory D:\RedHat\jboss-eap-6.3 and restore to another server located in the remote farm ?
Is there a special method to start the web service from the slave server and get the domain.xml configuration in local ?
Is there a "guru" method that someone suggest to me to resolve that problem ?

Thanks in advice for every suggestions,
Roberto

Responses

Hi guys,

I have an update about the initial question.
I developed my second question and I think to have a solution for this but I would like to share my idea with someone to have constructive debate.
The Domain Manager is configured with host-master.xml,
The Backup Domain Manager is configured with host-slave.xml with some modifications:
This tag to enable the web console:

<http-interface security-realm="ManagementRealm">
    <socket interface="management" port="${jboss.management.http.port:9990}"/>
</http-interface>

and this tag to accept connection inbound:

<interface name="management">
    <inet-address value="${jboss.bind.address.management:192.168.1.209}"/>
</interface>

Moreover as a slave configuration I have added these tags

<server-identities>
    <secret value="**************"/>
</server-identities>

and

<domain-controller>
    <remote security-realm="ManagementRealm" username="RHServiceUser"> 
        <discovery-options>
            <static-discovery name="master" host="${jboss.domain.master.address:dc-host.localdomain.local}" port="${jboss.domain.master.port:9999}" />
        </discovery-options>
    </remote>
</domain-controller>

After this configuration I have started the second server, the domain server backup, with this command domain.bat --backup and from master's console I can see both servers master and backup.

To simulate the Disaster scenario I have switched off the Domain Server master and, with the CLI console on the Backup Server I have typed these commands:

[domain@192.168.35.209:9999 /] /host=backup:write-local-domain-controller

and

[domain@192.168.35.209:9999 /] reload --host=backup

Now the Backup server is become a master.

There is anyone that confirm this point of view ?

Thanks in advice for every suggestions,
Roberto

Hi Roberto

Can you go ahead and raise a support case with us so we can perhaps look in to this with a little bit more detail?