Where do I download Red Hat Enterprise workstation or desktop versions

Latest response

I have no trouble finding the sever versions but an unable to find Red Hat Enterprise workstation or desktop versions.
I'm specifically looking for Red Hat Enterprise 6.5 workstation/desktop.
Any help.
Thanks

Responses

Hi Michael,

On the Customer Portal (i.e. the site where we're now), you can navigate to Products & Services -> Infrastructure and Management -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux -> Download latest. Which is where you select the variant and version you wish to download.

2018-03-18: Links updated:

Here are direct links to RHEL 6.5 Desktop and Workstation.

Thanks Robert!
I'll need to update my subscription.

As product pages change, this is a more stable way to find what you need:

Downloads (on the left in top global user bar) > Red Hat Enterprise Linux > Select your desired version > Look for the desired media in the table at the bottom of this page, and under the Product Downloads tab (default tab).

The equivalent of Robert's path is now:

Products & Services -> Infrastructure and Management -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux -> Click "More options" under the download button in the top right of the header of this page.

I am still not finding a location to download any version 6/7 of RHEL Desktop or Workstation and do not see a "More options" Choice. Has this changed or am I doing something wrong?

You can find all Red Hat Enterprise Linux download options here -> https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/69/ver=/rhel---7/7.3/x86_64/product-software

From the drop down menu you can choose other versions, to install the workstation edition select the desktop environment (Server with GUI) from the anaconda installer - this option is included in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Binary DVD image.

I don't get other versions, my drop down starts with Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server and the last option is Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability (for RHEL Server) - I have tried using arrow keys to scroll down and this is still the last option. I have tried using Chrome and Firefox.

I have a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Developer Suite subscription ($99), do I need a different subscription or something? Can it be that my country is UK and not US?

Hi Tom ! :)
No, the country does not make any difference. Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server is the correct option and as I said - to make that a workstation installation, boot from the installation media you have created from the ISO image and select the option Server with GUI from the anaconda installer.

Hi Christian,

Just to clarify... While the solution you're outlining provides the user with a graphical desktop workstation, it won't give them an installation of the "Workstation" variant of RHEL. There actually are some differences between the "Server" and "Workstation" variants.

That said, when the "Server" variant is installed with a GUI, it provides a perfectly adequate system for development (even better than "Workstation" I'd venture), so there should be no downsides to using this approach.

As stated before, I have found it now by choosing Evaluate, instead of going straight to downloads .

The reason I am looking at "Workstation" is that I want to run this on a laptop (Lenovo x250 - 17 hours of battery life prior to last Windoze update) and previous versions of Linux on my laptop have sucked power like an addict (I live off grid with solar power as my primary power source - and winter sucks).

Since Lenovo mainly certifies RH to run on their laptops and RH have a good tid on TLP, the plan is to install RH Workstation, rather than a different flavour of Linux, or RHEL Server).

If there is no benefit to installing RH workstation, I might as well install RHEL Server on my laptop.

Any thoughts/recommendations/docs/tids I should read?

Based on my own experience, I would recommend to install Fedora 25 on your laptop to get the most of your hardware and then utilize your RHEL Server subscription by deploying a virtual machine using KVM.

//Zdenek

I don't particularly want to run a server, I would like to determine if it is worth installing RHEL Workstation (and if I have to choose something simple, I'd rather run opensuse than Fedora). I want to run linux and get as much battery life as possible. I found someone who is running arch linux and getting 20 hours with a gui by the looks of it on the same laptop as myself (Lenovo x240/x250), but I would prefer to run RHEL or SUSE as these are the products I support at work and am certified in (RHCA/CLP). I currently run Windows10 on my laptop and teamviewer into work.

Hi Robert ! :)

Thank you for clarification and pointing out the difference. I have to say that I very much appreciate the possibility to get a clean operating system without any unnecessary packages getting installed alongside, which is provided by the Server with GUI variant.

Kinda makes a big difference in how one can use redhat, I remember I had bought my first desktop version in the 90's, as a suse workstation user now vrs the new style redhat came up with I kinda got lost so, it does show versions of desktop and workstation vrs server here https://www.redhat.com/en/store/red-hat-enterprise-linux-desktop-o.r-red-hat-enterprise-linux-workstation#?sku=RH0844913 in turn doesn't state the version for us as partners isn't there a version we can test run as a desktop or workstation? and sorry i guess I'm used to how SUSE directs their business partners or sales partners, thus the same questions was my thing as well I'm just saying cause maybe we don't sell services to a person in business, many do use the desktop so in turn isn't also the system a bit laid out different compared to the server type vrs desktop workstation?

OK, I am guessing it is to do with my subscription. If I choose Evaluation, then the drop down menu includes "Desktop" and "Workstation" - I think this should be mentioned in the instructions above - that either a subscription to the developer workstation is required or choose Evaluation before attemptiing to download.

I have a no-cost developer subscription. Is a workstation edition downloadable with this subscription level (looking around it doesn't appear so, but I thought I would double-check)?

No, the no-cost developer subscription doesn't include the RHEL workstation edition - this is what is currently included :

Red Hat Software Collections (for RHEL Server)
Red Hat Container Development Kit
MRG Realtime
Red Hat EUCJP Support (for RHEL Server) - Extended Update Support
Red Hat Beta
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - Extended Update Support
Oracle Java (for RHEL Server) - Extended Update Support
dotNET on RHEL Beta (for RHEL Server)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Performance Networking (for RHEL Compute Node)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Performance Networking (for RHEL Server) - Extended Update Support
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Resilient Storage (for RHEL Server)
Oracle Java (for RHEL Server)
Red Hat Container Images
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Real Time
dotNET on RHEL (for RHEL Server)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Atomic Host
Red Hat S-JIS Support (for RHEL Server) - Extended Update Support
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Scalable File System (for RHEL Server)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Resilient Storage (for RHEL Server) - Extended Update Support
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Atomic Host Beta
Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability (for RHEL Server) - Extended Update Support
Red Hat Container Images Beta
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Scalable File System (for RHEL Server) - Extended Update Support
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Load Balancer (for RHEL Server) - Extended Update Support
Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability (for RHEL Server)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server
Red Hat Software Collections Beta (for RHEL Server)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Performance Networking (for RHEL Server)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Load Balancer (for RHEL Server)
Red Hat Developer Toolset (for RHEL Server)

I have a similar problem. I have two separate RHEL accounts, both of which have Workstation subscriptions active. There are no links to download the Workstation version anymore. I know I have done that as recently as 7.3.
This link was provided via chat, but still no workstation variant listed. https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/71/ver=/rhel---7/7.4/x86_64/product-software

help?

Hi Keith,

I tried the link you included, and I can see and download Workstation ISOs from there. I suggest you contact customer support to sort out whatever issues there are with your subscription.

Hi Robert,

I have checked the link too and can confirm that the desktop or workstation editions are not listed.
Seems that it depends on the subscription and - if that's the case Keith, contact customer support.
By the way Robert, the links you provided on 2015-01-28 actually open the RHEL product website.
So it seems that there have some general changes "under the hood" been made in the meantime. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

Thanks for pointing out the invalid links -- I have now updated them, so they again point to the respective download pages.

Hello, Robert !

I am trying to upgrade my system from 6.5 to 6.9 and is giving the following msg,

cat /etc/system-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago)
# This is a "SLES Expanded Support platform release 6.5"
# The above "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server" string is only used to
# keep software compatibility.

could you help me ?

Hi Anderson,

I'm not sure I understand -- when do you see this output? After you upgrade the system, it still shows that you're running the old version? If that's the case, then please read the explanation in /etc/redhat-release file is not updated...

Hi Sorry I didn't understand. Which should I download from the list below for desktop version?

Errata Installers and Images for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (v. 7.5 for x86_64) WinSync Installer (32-bit) Last modified: 2018-06-09 SHA-256 Checksum: afef0904231be46f37b5c6ec10e57718c8b893c2b304fd1ec89057909275cf7c 2.9 MB

WinSync Installer (64-bit) Last modified: 2018-06-09 SHA-256 Checksum: 14a92a94ef52b59c80415ff3bae36dbc474df360fff2e1341fad355a89bb3f6d 3.24 MB

Driver update disk (dd-megaraid_sas-07.702.06.00_rh2_dup7.5-1.el7_5.iso) Last modified: 2018-05-22 SHA-256 Checksum: c895b89ced46646378e4a4f464b21ae18c11aac0c1cff76f9ff399a373a6a871 598 KB

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5 Update KVM Guest Image (20180514) Last modified: 2018-05-23 SHA-256 Checksum: 7ff0d81ebf68119816b2756b7ed591dc9b50d29713e3785cc6bed564429a8b04 657 MB

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5 Boot ISO Last modified: 2018-04-10 SHA-256 Checksum: 64f6ba615825e39da5def5178bd50149c506d603cfcf49f1a6d91495342b5bcf 533 MB

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5 Binary DVD Last modified: 2018-04-10 SHA-256 Checksum: d0dd6ae5e001fb050dafefdfd871e7e648b147fb2d35f0e106e0b34a0163e8f5 4.3 GB

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5 KVM Guest Image Last modified: 2018-04-10 SHA-256 Checksum: 0fd4dae56571ffc275df3335d0316b5043d98fe3802c66ae893e3190c2a120fd 660 MB

RHEL 7.5 Supplementary Binary DVD Last modified: 2018-04-10 SHA-256 Checksum: 03dd3c43f51c4d2fb964edd335902ba7af3fae324591b558804cdedbf9780526 499 MB

virt-p2v ISO Last modified: 2018-03-23 SHA-256 Checksum: 37ec3c5057b79219412269e55fb6d43b36251024338c2f22f2627427124c6e66 286 MB

I want to download Redhat Desktop , can i get the url for this...thanks

Hi Hamza,

There is no dedicated RHEL Desktop edition any longer ... select Workstation in the Anaconda installer. :)
Link -> https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/479/ver=/rhel---8/8.2/x86_64/product-software

Regards,
Christian

I have problem, I can not find RHEL 7.6 iso image for workstation. I have active subscription. Thanks.

I am actually facing internal server error from redhat every time when i try to download any of the version of linux, Im an indian and I tried calling local customer care but the number given in the website is invalid.Plz help me

بابا اینو اصلن نمیشه دانلود کرد چیکار کنیم داداش

Hi Hadi,

Can you please translate your comment into English ? Thank you. :)

Regards,
Christian

گرچه زبان فارسی زبان بسیار خوبی است ، اما درک آن برای دیگران در این بخش بسیار دشوار است.

لطفا از انگلیسی استفاده کنید

با استفاده از Google ترجمه شده است ، زیرا خودم نمی توانم فارسی بنویسم یا بخوانم.

Hi Jan,

As much as I appreciate your attitude to help ... please write in English language. Why ? Because most of
our members are speaking English, and all members should profit from your expertise and knowledge. :)

Regards,
Christian

translation of the Persian text:

Although Persian is a great language, to others in this forum it very hard to understand.

Please use English.

Translated using Google, as I cannot write or read Persian myself.

Thank you very much, Jan ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Hadi,

If I attempted to give help and use a Google Translate feature to translate it to Persian, I'd probably end up with something unintended. The previous Red-Hatter who watched over the Discussion Area named David Powles would ask people to use English in the discussion forum, or to contact Red Hat directly (see link in the next paragraph)

Hadi, - you can also submit a ticket for the problem you are experiencing and or contact Red Hat in your region https://access.redhat.com/support/contact/customerService/

Kind Regards,
RJ

Thank you, RJ ... that's exactly what I do - and did : "ask people to use English in the discussion forum" ... :)

Regards,
Christian

We miss David Powles, hope he's doing well. You're always on the right page it seems to me Christian :)

Regards,
RJ

Same with me, RJ ... I miss him much ! :)

Regards,
Christian