No bitmap font for Terminal in RHEL 7

Latest response

Environment: Linux localhost.localdomain 3.10.0-123.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 5 11:16:57 EDT 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
In older RHEL versions there was bitmap font called Console available for use in Terminal. With RHEL 7 it is not available. I downloaded and installed package bitmap-fixed-fonts.noarch via yum but still can't see the font in Terminal Profile settings. What's wrong?

$ rpm -ql bitmap-fixed-fonts.noarch
/etc/fonts/conf.d/66-bitmap-fixed.conf
/usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail/66-bitmap-fixed.conf
/usr/share/fonts/bitmap
/usr/share/fonts/bitmap/console9x15.pcf.gz

Update:

Thank you for the response. But I'm afraid it does not solve the issue. Probably the best way to illustrate it is to use screenshots. On first one there is a Terminal screenshot from RHEL 6.3, on second Terminal from RHEL 7. Please open images in separate windows since this forum distorts image sizes.
And yes, I even rebooted after all the changes.

Responses

Hi Martin,

The font you installed is listed as "Fixed Regular". Perhaps you didn't restart the Terminal before trying to select it?

You can check all installed fonts using the fc-list command. In this case, you'd run:

fc-list | grep Fixed

The font you installed should be listed as

/usr/share/fonts/bitmap/console9x15.pcf.gz: Fixed:style=Regular

There should also be a bunch of other (Fixed) fonts listed. The package (which is installed by default) is called ucs-miscfixed-fonts.noarch, and it contains a number of variants and sizes of the Fixed font.

You can also check whether the fonts are installed correctly using the gnome-font-viewer. For example:

gnome-font-viewer /usr/share/fonts/bitmap/console9x15.pcf.gz

Ah, it seems I misunderstood your question before. I thought you had trouble getting the "Fixed" font installed.

Anyway, to get that particular font (the one shown on the screenshot from RHEL6), you need to install the bitmap-console-fonts.noarch package. The font file will then be /usr/share/fonts/bitmap/console8x16.pcf.gz. It will be listed as "Console".