RHEV-H does not install in VMWare while oVirt - H does ?

Latest response

Hi

I have 2 questions, any help would be appreciated :-

Q.1 )
I have tried installing RHEV-H ( Hypervisor ) in my VMWare 10 Workstation, but after the installation completes and system restarts, it gives me an error :-

dracut : Warning boot has failed ( Please find attached screenshots )

After Restart :-

However, when i run the same setup with oVirt Hypervisor, it installs and works perfectly.

Q.2 )

1 more thing i have seen recently is that, whenever i click on " Install or Upgrade " while installing RHEV-H , nothing happens. In order to make it work, i have to manually remove the " quiet " kernel parameter using TAB option and then installer begins to start. Is this a bug ?

Specifications :-

Intel Core i7 , 3rd Generation
8GB RAM.
Windows 8
VMWare Workstation 10 with Intel-VT mode enabled.

Responses

Why would you install a hypervisor as VM?
You would need nested kvm enabled in order to have the hypervisor working.

There are several scenarios that I have seen folks install Virtualization inside of a VM (I believe OpenStack allinone - for example) to do testing, etc...

I have never personally tried this, but I believe to have the nested virtualization I believe the installer will only test for the Virt flags

egrep 'svm|vmx' /proc/cpuinfo

As for why RHEV-H does not load in Vmware, I would assume that dracut is unable to build a new initrd that has the appropriate modules. I believe the work-around is to use a particular emulated SCSI controller.

The following is an example using ESXi and RHEV (which I believe should be similar to VMware Workstation?
http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/07/how-to-run-nested-rhev-hypervisor-on.html

James' comment is the most likely scenario. While in the installer press F2 to drop to shell. then run lsmod to determine what modules are loaded for storage and grab the output lspci. Those should help determine what module is needed. It's likely missing in the initrd and is loaded from the root file system on the installer after booted. It would need to be added to the initrd generated for RHEV-H.

As for why oVirt works and RHEV-H does not: I speculate that oVirt intentionally is way more accommodating since there is not the same dependency to have regression testing and HCL for supportability. Red Hat would likely maintain a specific subset of hardware in their HCL to ensure functionality.

Sorry I had not answered that previously.

Thank you very much for all your help.

I figured out the reason behind it was that RHEV-H does not seem to work with SCSI based interface in Virtual Environment. However Ovirt-H works perfectly with SCSI Interface.

It took me lot of time to figure that out. So i finally removed SCSI and added a IDE disk in VMware and it started working fine.

Great - and thanks for posting your resolution so that others can benefit as well!

Thank you for posting your solution. I installed RHEV on VMware Workstation 10 and ran into the same issue and ended up using a RHEL Hypervisor. Creating a VM with and IDE disk allows me to install RHEV-H.

Hey Zeal, do you mind opening a support case so we can get a bug filed? Please reference this discussion thread.

Thank you very much ...

Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.