RHSA-2018:1627 - Security Advisory
Moderate: Red Hat OpenStack Platform director security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An update is now available for Red Hat OpenStack Platform 11.0 (Ocata).
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
Red Hat OpenStack Platform director provides the facilities for deploying
and monitoring a private or public infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) cloud
based on Red Hat OpenStack Platform.
- A resource-permission flaw was found in the python-tripleo and openstack-tripleo-heat-templates packages where ceph.client.openstack.keyring is created as world-readable. A local attacker with access to the key could read or modify data on Ceph cluster pools for OpenStack as though the attacker were the OpenStack service, thus potentially reading or modifying data in an OpenStack Block Storage volume.
To exploit this flaw, the attacker must have local access to an overcloud node. However by default, access to overcloud nodes is restricted and accessible only from the management undercloud server on an internal network. (CVE-2017-12155)
This issue was discovered by Katuya Kawakami (NEC).
- It was discovered that the memcached connections using UDP transport protocol can be abused for efficient traffic amplification distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. A remote attacker could send a malicious UDP request using a spoofed source IP address of a target system to memcached, causing it to send a significantly larger response to the target. (CVE-2018-1000115)
This update also includes the following bug fixes and enhancements:
- Prior to this update, when removing the ceph-osd RPM from overcloud nodes that do not require the package, the corresponding Ceph OSD product key was not removed. Consequently, the subscription-manager would incorrectly report that the Ceph OSD product was still installed.
With this update, the script that handles removal of the ceph-osd RPM now also removes the Ceph OSD product key. Note: The script that removes the RPM and product key executes only during the overcloud update procedure; the product key is removed only when the overcloud node is updated.
As a result, after removing the ceph-osd RPM, the subscription-manager no longer reports the Ceph OSD product is installed. (BZ#1571436)
- Previously, there were errors in the director Heat template that configures the VMAX Cinder backend driver. Consequently, the VMAX driver would not function correctly. With this update, the errors have been corrected, and the VMAX driver functions correctly. (BZ#1546799)
- This enhancement adds director support for deploying the Dell EMC VMAX cinder backend. (BZ#1546793)
- In this enhancement, if a minor update is blocked by an existing yum process that prevents the package update, the process should exit with an appropriate error message. This was added because the minor update may appear to freeze, due to yum waiting for the existing yum.pid to exit; when it eventually fails it is not immediately clear why. As a result, if there is an existing yum process preventing the package update, then the minor update fails with a clear message to indicate this: "ERROR existing yum.pid detected - can't continue! Please ensure there is no other package update process for the duration of the minor update worfklow. Exiting". (BZ#1471721)
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat OpenStack 11 x86_64
- BZ - 1445766 - Horizon is not reachable when Horizon service is running on a standalone role
- BZ - 1471721 - 'openstack overcloud update ...' fails when yum is locked on an overcloud node
- BZ - 1478274 - notification_format in nova.conf should be set to unversioned as there is no consumer for versioned
- BZ - 1489360 - CVE-2017-12155 openstack-tripleo-heat-templates: Ceph client keyring is world-readable when deployed by director
- BZ - 1518009 - os-collect-config doesn't start at boot on split stack deployments with pre-provisioned servers
- BZ - 1524422 - OSP10 -> OSP11 upgrade: upgrade fails during 'Setup gnocchi db during upgrade' task because httpd is stopped and Keystone is unreacheable
- BZ - 1546799 - Backport: Fix the dellemc vmax to use the correct hiera name
- BZ - 1547089 - rhel-registration broken with: Failed to validate: resources.NodeExtraConfig: "conditions" is not a valid keyword inside a resource definition'
- BZ - 1547956 - Undercloud / Overcloud Heat stack fails on: YAQL list index out of range (includes upgrades cases)
- BZ - 1548345 - TLS Deployments don't work in Ocata with Pre-Provisioned Nodes
- BZ - 1550167 - validation-scripts/all-nodes.sh wait time verification
- BZ - 1551182 - CVE-2018-1000115 memcached: UDP server support allows spoofed traffic amplification DoS
- BZ - 1552245 - [OSP11] horizon stanza in haproxy.cfg needs tweaking
- BZ - 1567349 - Rebase openstack-tripleo-heat-templates to 9eafa84
- BZ - 1567365 - Rebase puppet-tripleo to a2b0d92
- BZ - 1571436 - "subscription-manager list" shows Ceph OSD after updating overcloud compute nodes
- BZ - 1577957 - Attempting to Deploy RHOSP-11 with NetApp Driver Causes Failure in Overcloud Deploy
Red Hat OpenStack 11