RHSA-2018:1593 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Moderate
Red Hat Insights patch analysis
Identify and remediate systems affected by this advisory.
An update is now available for Red Hat OpenStack Platform 10.0 (Newton).
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
Red Hat OpenStack Platform director provides the facilities for deploying and monitoring a private or public infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) cloud based on Red Hat OpenStack Platform.
- A resource-permission flaw was found in the python-tripleo and openstack-tripleo-heat-templates packages where ceph.client.openstack.keyring is created as world-readable. A local attacker with access to the key could read or modify data on Ceph cluster pools for OpenStack as though the attacker were the OpenStack service, thus potentially reading or modifying data in an OpenStack Block Storage volume.
To exploit this flaw, the attacker must have local access to an overcloud node. However by default, access to overcloud nodes is restricted and accessible only from the management undercloud server on an internal network. (CVE-2017-12155)
This issue was discovered by Katuya Kawakami (NEC).
- It was discovered that the memcached connections using UDP transport protocol can be abused for efficient traffic amplification distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. A remote attacker could send a malicious UDP request using a spoofed source IP address of a target system to memcached, causing it to send a significantly larger response to the target. (CVE-2018-1000115)
This advisory also addresses the following issues:
- This release adds support for deploying Dell EMC VMAX Block Storage backend using the Red Hat OpenStack Platform director. (BZ#1503896)
- Using composable roles for deploying Dell SC and PS Block Storage backend caused errors. The backends could only be deploying using 'cinder::config::cinder_config' hiera data.
With this update, the composable role support for deploying the Dell SC and PS Block Storage backends is updated. As a result, they can be now deployed using composable roles. (BZ#1552980)
- Previously, the iptables rules were managed by the Red Hat OpenStack Platform director and the OpenStack Networking service, which resulted in the rules created by the OpenStack Networking service to persist on to the disk. As a result, the rules that should not be loaded after an iptables restart or a system reboot would be loaded causing traffic issues.
With this update, the Red Hat OpenStack Platform director has been updated to exclude the OpenStack Networking rules from '/etc/sysconfig/iptables' when the director saves the firewall rules. As a result, iptables restart or a system reboot should work without causing traffic problems.
Note: It might be necessary to perform a rolling restart of the controller nodes to ensure that any orphaned managed neutron rules are no longer reloaded. (BZ#1541528)
- OS::TripleO::SwiftStorage::Ports* resources have been renamed to OS::TripleO::ObjectStorage::Port* to ensure standalone Object Storage nodes using the 'ObjectStorage' roles can be deployed correctly. Operators need to modify their custom templates that previously used OS::TripleO::SwiftStorage::Ports* settings. (BZ#1544802)
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat OpenStack 10 x86_64
- BZ - 1414549 - Establish and set sensible defaults for ceilometer data retention period
- BZ - 1489360 - CVE-2017-12155 openstack-tripleo-heat-templates: Ceph client keyring is world-readable when deployed by director
- BZ - 1503896 - [RFE] - Dell-EMC VMAX storage integration with Director
- BZ - 1514532 - Ceilometer event dispatcher misses `gnocchi'
- BZ - 1514842 - Keystone Admin API on external Network down after upgrading to OSP10z6
- BZ - 1517302 - openstack-nova-migration is potentially missing after a minor update
- BZ - 1533602 - Backport: Fix the dellemc vmax to use the correct hiera name
- BZ - 1534540 - [Back-Port request to OSP10] aodh-base.yaml uses hard coded regionOne
- BZ - 1538753 - (OSP10 backport) Deployment templates for unsupported components causing some confusion
- BZ - 1541528 - Changing firewall rules with Director saves copy of all rules into /etc/sysconfig/iptables as part of a stack update with `openstack overcloud deploy`
- BZ - 1543883 - [UPGRADE] Upgrade from 9->10 failed: update_os_net_config: command not found
- BZ - 1544211 - iptables is dropping rules on package update
- BZ - 1544802 - Deployment fails with ERROR: Failed to validate: Failed to validate: resources: The Resource Type (OS::TripleO::SwiftStorage::Ports::ManagementPort) could not be found.",
- BZ - 1545666 - validation-scripts/all-nodes.sh wait time verification
- BZ - 1547091 - rhel-registration broken with: Failed to validate: resources.NodeExtraConfig: "conditions" is not a valid keyword inside a resource definition'
- BZ - 1547957 - Undercloud / Overcloud Heat stack fails on: YAQL list index out of range (includes upgrades cases)
- BZ - 1551182 - CVE-2018-1000115 memcached: UDP server support allows spoofed traffic amplification DoS
- BZ - 1552980 - Errors with heat templates used to deploy Dell EMC SC and PS Cinder backends
- BZ - 1559093 - ceilometer event-list empty with event_dispatchers=gnocchi
- BZ - 1568596 - Rebase openstack-tripleo-heat-templates to f452e67
- BZ - 1568601 - Rebase puppet-tripleo to a2b2df9
- BZ - 1571840 - Attempting to use iptables with ipv6 address/prefix
- BZ - 1576577 - Attempting to Deploy RHOSP-10 with NetApp Driver Causes Failure in Overcloud Deploy
Red Hat OpenStack 10