RHSA-2018:0060 - Security Advisory
Important: qemu-kvm-rhev security update
Security Advisory: Important
An update for qemu-kvm-rhev is now available for Red Hat OpenStack Platform 12.0 (Pike).
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) is a full virtualization solution for Linux on a variety of architectures. The qemu-kvm-rhev packages provide the user-space component for running virtual machines that use KVM in environments managed by Red Hat products.
- An industry-wide issue was found in the way many modern microprocessor designs have implemented speculative execution of instructions (a commonly used performance optimization). There are three primary variants of the issue which differ in the way the speculative execution can be exploited. Variant CVE-2017-5715 triggers the speculative execution by utilizing branch target injection. It relies on the presence of a precisely-defined instruction sequence in the privileged code as well as the fact that memory accesses may cause allocation into the microprocessor's data cache even for speculatively executed instructions that never actually commit (retire). As a result, an unprivileged attacker could use this flaw to cross the syscall and guest/host boundaries and read privileged memory by conducting targeted cache side-channel attacks. (CVE-2017-5715)
Note: This is the qemu-kvm-rhev side of the CVE-2017-5715 mitigation.
Red Hat would like to thank Google Project Zero for reporting this issue.
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
After installing this update, shut down all running virtual machines. Once all virtual machines have shut down, start them again for this update to take effect.
- Red Hat OpenStack 12 x86_64
- Red Hat OpenStack for IBM Power 12 ppc64le
- BZ - 1519780 - CVE-2017-5715 hw: cpu: speculative execution branch target injection
- BZ - 1525497 - QEMU's AIO subsystem gets stuck inhibiting all I/O operations on virtio-blk-pci devices [OSP 12]
Red Hat OpenStack 12
Red Hat OpenStack for IBM Power 12