RHSA-2017:0552 - Security Advisory
Moderate: rhevm-appliance security and bug fix update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An update for rhevm-appliance is now available for RHEV 4.X RHEV-H and Agents for RHEL-7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The RHV-M Virtual Appliance automates the process of installing and configuring the Red Hat Virtualization Manager. The appliance is available to download as an OVA file from the Customer Portal.
The following packages have been upgraded to a later upstream version: rhevm-appliance (20170307.0). (BZ#1419968)
- A vulnerability was discovered in SPICE in the server's protocol handling. An authenticated attacker could send crafted messages to the SPICE server causing a heap overflow leading to a crash or possible code execution. (CVE-2016-9577)
- A vulnerability was discovered in SPICE in the server's protocol handling. An attacker able to connect to the SPICE server could send crafted messages which would cause the process to crash. (CVE-2016-9578)
These issues were discovered by Frediano Ziglio (Red Hat).
- Previously the name of the "rhevm-appliance" RPM contained only a timestamp, without versioning information. In this release, the Red Hat Virtualization release will now be included in the name of the "rhevm-appliance" RPM and will be visible from the node channel. (BZ#1416011)
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat Virtualization 4.2 x86_64
- BZ - 1399566 - CVE-2016-9578 spice: Remote DoS via crafted message
- BZ - 1401603 - CVE-2016-9577 spice: Buffer overflow in main_channel_alloc_msg_rcv_buf when reading large messages
- BZ - 1416011 - RHEL based 3.6 HE to 4.0 upgrade with wrong appliance
- BZ - 1419968 - Tracker: rhevm-appliance 4.0.7
Red Hat Virtualization 4.2
Red Hat Virtualization 4