RHSA-2016:2923 - Security Advisory
Moderate: openstack-cinder and openstack-glance security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated openstack-cinder and openstack-glance packages that fix one security issue are now available for Red Hat OpenStack Platform 9.0 (Mitaka).
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
OpenStack Block Storage (cinder) manages block storage mounting and the presentation of such mounted block storage to instances. The backend physical storage can consist of local disks, or Fiber Channel, iSCSI, and NFS mounts attached to Compute nodes. In addition, Block Storage supports volume backups, and snapshots for temporary save and restore operations. Programatic management is available via Block Storage's API.
OpenStack Image service (glance) provides discovery, registration, and delivery services for disk and server images. It provides the ability to copy or snapshot a server image, and immediately store it away. Stored images can be used as a template to get new servers up and running quickly and more consistently than installing a server operating system and individually configuring additional services.
- A resource vulnerability in the Block Storage (cinder) and Image (glance) services was found in their use of qemu-img. An unprivileged user could consume as much as 4 GB of RAM on the compute host by uploading a malicious image. This flaw could lead possibly to host out-of-memory errors and negatively affect other running tenant instances. (CVE-2015-5162)
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat OpenStack 9 x86_64
- BZ - 1268303 - CVE-2015-5162 openstack-nova/glance/cinder: Malicious image may exhaust resources
- BZ - 1380842 - Creating Encrypted Volumes with Cinder(Ceph backend) gives false positive
- BZ - 1381283 - cinder-api lost SSL in oslo.service wsgi move for Mitaka
- BZ - 1381350 - qemu-img calls need to be restricted by ulimit
- BZ - 1386253 - NetApp Cinder driver: cloning operations are unsuccessful
Red Hat OpenStack 9