RHSA-2011:0975 - Security Advisory
Low: sssd security, bug fix, and enhancement update
Security Advisory: Low
Updated sssd packages that fix one security issue, several bugs, and add
various enhancements are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having low
security impact. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score,
which gives a detailed severity rating, is available from the CVE link in
the References section.
The System Security Services Daemon (SSSD) provides a set of daemons to
manage access to remote directories and authentication mechanisms. It
provides an NSS and PAM interface toward the system and a pluggable
back-end system to connect to multiple different account sources. It is
also the basis to provide client auditing and policy services for projects
such as FreeIPA.
A flaw was found in the SSSD PAM responder that could allow a local
attacker to force SSSD to enter an infinite loop via a carefully-crafted
packet. With SSSD unresponsive, legitimate users could be denied the
ability to log in to the system. (CVE-2010-4341)
Red Hat would like to thank Sebastian Krahmer for reporting this issue.
These updated sssd packages include a number of bug fixes and enhancements.
Space precludes documenting all of these changes in this advisory. Refer to
the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.7 Technical Notes for information about
All sssd users are advised to upgrade to these updated sssd packages, which
upgrade SSSD to upstream version 1.5.1 to correct this issue, and fix the
bugs and add the enhancements noted in the Technical Notes.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 5 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 5 ppc
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server from RHUI 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server from RHUI 5 i386
- BZ - 640601 - sssd is not escaping correctly LDAP searches
- BZ - 661163 - CVE-2010-4341 sssd: DoS in sssd PAM responder can prevent logins
- BZ - 675007 - sssd corrupts group cache
- BZ - 676027 - sssd segfault when first entry of ldap_uri is unreachable
- BZ - 678032 - Remove HBAC time rules from SSSD
- BZ - 678092 - SSSD in 5.6 can not locate HBAC rules from FreeIPAv2
- BZ - 678412 - name service caches names, so id command shows recently deleted users
- BZ - 678606 - User information not updated on login for secondary domains
- BZ - 678615 - SSSD needs to look at IPA's compat tree for netgroups
- BZ - 678778 - IPA provider does not update removed group memberships on initgroups
- BZ - 678780 - sssd crashes at the next tgt renewals it tries.
- BZ - 679087 - SSSD IPA provider should honor the krb5_realm option
- BZ - 679097 - Does not read renewable ccache at startup.
- BZ - 682803 - sssd-be segmentation fault - ipa-client on ipa-server
- BZ - 682808 - sssd_nss core dumps with certain lookups
- BZ - 682853 - IPA provider should use realm instead of ipa_domain for base DN
- BZ - 683260 - sudo/ldap lookup via sssd gets stuck for 5min waiting on netgroup
- BZ - 688677 - Build SSSD in RHEL 5.7 against openldap24-libs
- BZ - 688694 - authconfig fails when access_provider is set as krb5 in sssd.conf.
- BZ - 688697 - sssd 1.5.1-9 breaks AD authentication
- BZ - 689887 - group memberships are not populated correctly during IPA provider initgroups
- BZ - 690093 - multiple problems with sssd + ldap (Active-Directory) and groups members.
- BZ - 690096 - SSSD should skip over groups with multiple names
- BZ - 690287 - Traceback messages seen while interrupting sss_obfuscate using ctrl+d.
- BZ - 690814 - [abrt] sssd-1.2.1-28.el6_0.4: _talloc_free: Process /usr/libexec/sssd/sssd_be was killed by signal 11 (SIGSEGV)
- BZ - 690867 - Groups with a zero-length memberuid attribute can cause SSSD to stop caching and responding to requests
- BZ - 691900 - SSSD needs to fall back to 'cn' for GECOS information (was: SSSD configuration problem when configured with MSAD)
- BZ - 692960 - Process /usr/libexec/sssd/sssd_be was killed by signal 11 (SIGSEGV)
- BZ - 694149 - SSSD consumes GBs of RAM, possible memory leak
- BZ - 694853 - SSSD crashes during getent when anonymous bind is disabled.
- BZ - 695476 - Unable to resolve SRV record when called with _srv_,<fixed ldap uri> in ldap_uri
- BZ - 696979 - [REGRESSION] Filters not honoured against fully-qualified users.
- BZ - 701702 - sssd client libraries use select() but should use poll() instead
- BZ - 707340 - latest sssd fails if ldap_default_authtok_type is not mentioned
- BZ - 707574 - SSSD's async resolver only tries the first nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 5