RHSA-2008:0857 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Important
Updated kernel packages that fix several security issues and several bugs
are now available for Red Hat Enterprise MRG 1.0.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The kernel packages contain the Linux kernel, the core of any Linux
A possible integer overflow was found in the Linux kernel Stream Control
Transmission Protocol (SCTP) implementation. This could allow an attacker
to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2008-3526, Important)
A deficiency was found in the Linux kernel Stream Control Transmission
Protocol (SCTP) Authentication Extension implementation. All the SCTP-AUTH
socket options could cause a kernel panic if the API was used when the
extension is disabled. (CVE-2008-3792, Important)
Missing boundary checks were reported in the Linux kernel SCTP
implementation. This could, potentially, cause information disclosure via a
specially crafted SCTP_HMAC_IDENT IOCTL request. (CVE-2008-4113,
Tobias Klein reported a missing check in the Linux kernel's Open Sound
System (OSS) implementation. This deficiency could lead to a possible
information leak. (CVE-2008-3272, Moderate)
A deficiency was found in the Linux kernel virtual filesystem (VFS)
implementation. This could allow a local unprivileged user to make a series
of file creations within deleted directories, possibly causing a denial of
service. (CVE-2008-3275, Moderate)
A flaw was found in the Linux kernel Network File System daemon (nfsd) when
NFSv4 was enabled. Remote attackers could use this to cause a denial of
service via a buffer overflow. (CVE-2008-3915, Moderate)
A possible integer overflow was discovered in the Linux kernel Datagram
Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) implementation. This could allow a
remote attacker to cause a denial of service on a victim's machine.
A deficiency was found in the Linux kernel tmpfs implementation. This could
allow a local unprivileged user to make a certain sequence of file
operations, possibly causing a denial of service. (CVE-2008-3534, Low)
An off-by-one error was found in the iov_iter_advance function. This could
allow a local unprivileged user to cause a denial of service as
demonstrated by a testcase from the Linux Test Project. (CVE-2008-3535,
These updated packages also fix the following bugs:
- fixed a warning in the openib code.
- increased MAX_STACK_TRACE_ENTRIES on the debug kernel variant.
- enqueue deprioritized RT tasks to head of prio array.
- use timer_pending() to test ipv6 FIB timers.
- added a lower-bound check for the length field in PPPOE headers.
- pppoe: unshare skb to avoid possible data loss.
- using growisofs could cause oops due to the lack of proper sanity checks.
- random seed improvement.
- enabled the "Panic on Oops" feature.
- fixed a portability issue in parse_pmtmr() due to variable type.
- fixed sanity check in cifs/asn1.c.
- fixed a bug introduced by a previous fix, related to the inode code.
- added better sanity checks to dlm code.
- dynamic ftrace enhancements. The daemon is no longer used.
- fixed a format string bug in cpufreq.
- avoid a potential kernel stack overflow in binfmt_misc.c
- fixed the long boot-up time when CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING is enabled.
- use a better random seed for NAT port randomization.
- a compat_semaphore was being handled as a regular semaphore due to
casting (qla2xxx driver).
All users of Red Hat Enterprise MRG should upgrade to these new packages,
which address these vulnerabilities and fix these bugs.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- MRG Realtime 1 x86_64
- MRG Realtime 1 i386
- BZ - 447942 - openib broken in 184.108.40.206-55.el5rt
- BZ - 448574 - [MRG] Hit BUG: MAX_STACK_TRACE_ENTRIES too low! when booting kernel-rt-debug-220.127.116.11-32ibmrt2.2
- BZ - 454270 - SCHED_FIFO spec violation
- BZ - 457012 - ipv6: use timer pending to fix bridge reference count problem [mrg-1]
- BZ - 457014 - pppoe: Check packet length on all receive paths [mrg-1]
- BZ - 457019 - pppoe: Unshare skb before anything else [mrg-1]
- BZ - 457027 - ide-cd: fix oops when using growisofs [mrg-1]
- BZ - 457507 - CVE-2008-3534 kernel: tmpfs: fix kernel BUG in shmem_delete_inode
- BZ - 457703 - CVE-2008-3535 kernel: fix off-by-one error in iov_iter_advance()
- BZ - 457858 - CVE-2008-3275 Linux kernel local filesystem DoS
- BZ - 457995 - CVE-2008-3272 kernel snd_seq_oss_synth_make_info leak
- BZ - 458016 - kernel: random32: seeding improvement [mrg-1]
- BZ - 458104 - kernel should panic on oops
- BZ - 458340 - parse_pmtmr() receives a (possible) ulong then stores that in a u32 [mrg-1]
- BZ - 458350 - fs/cifs/asn1.c:403: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type
- BZ - 458487 - [Realtime][Kernel] kernel BUG at fs/inode.c:262!
- BZ - 458755 - kernel: dlm: fix possible use-after-free [mrg-1]
- BZ - 458756 - kernel: dlm: check for null in device_write [mrg-1]
- BZ - 458758 - kernel: dlm: dlm/user.c input validation fixes [mrg-1]
- BZ - 459141 - Add ftrace boot time nop replacement
- BZ - 459226 - CVE-2008-3276 Linux kernel dccp_setsockopt_change() integer overflow
- BZ - 459459 - kernel: cpufreq: fix format string bug [mrg-1]
- BZ - 459462 - kernel: binfmt_misc.c: avoid potential kernel stack overflow [mrg-1]
- BZ - 459478 - [FOCUS] Long boot time and strange Hardware Clock message
- BZ - 459942 - kernel: nf_nat: use secure_ipv4_port_ephemeral() for NAT port randomization [mrg-1]
- BZ - 459955 - CVE-2008-3792 kernel: sctp: fix potential panics in the SCTP-AUTH API
- BZ - 460093 - CVE-2008-3526 Linux kernel sctp_setsockopt_auth_key() integer overflow
- BZ - 460455 - [FOCUS] R2:SAN:Hang triggered by filesystem testing on SAN
- BZ - 461101 - CVE-2008-3915 kernel: nfsd: fix buffer overrun decoding NFSv4 acl
- BZ - 462599 - CVE-2008-4445 kernel: sctp: fix random memory dereference with SCTP_HMAC_IDENT option
- BZ - 464514 - CVE-2008-4113 kernel: sctp_getsockopt_hmac_ident information disclosure
MRG Realtime 1