RHSA-2008:0133 - Security Advisory
Moderate: IBMJava2 security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
IBMJava2-JRE and IBMJava2-SDK packages that correct several security issues
are available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1.
IBM's 1.3.1 Java release includes the IBM Java 2 Runtime Environment and
the IBM Java 2 Software Development Kit.
A buffer overflow was found in the Java Runtime Environment image-handling
code. An untrusted applet or application could use this flaw to elevate its
privileges and potentially execute arbitrary code as the user running the
java virtual machine. (CVE-2007-3004)
An unspecified vulnerability was discovered in the Java Runtime
Environment. An untrusted applet or application could cause the java
virtual machine to become unresponsive. (CVE-2007-3005)
A flaw was found in the applet class loader. An untrusted applet could use
this flaw to circumvent network access restrictions, possibly connecting to
services hosted on the machine that executed the applet. (CVE-2007-3922)
These updated packages also add the following enhancements:
- Time zone information has been updated to the latest available
- Accessibility support in AWT can now be disabled through a system
property, java.assistive. To support this change, permission to read this
property must be added to /opt/IBMJava2-131/jre/lib/security/java.policy.
Users of IBMJava2 who have modified this file should add this following
line to the grant section:
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.assistive", "read";
All users of IBMJava2 should upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain IBM's 1.3.1 SR11 Java release, which resolves these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2 i386
- BZ - 242595 - CVE-2007-3004 Integer overflow in IBM JDK's ICC profile parser
- BZ - 249533 - CVE-2007-3922 Vulnerability in the Java Runtime Environment May Allow an Untrusted Applet to Circumvent Network Access Restrictions
- BZ - 250733 - CVE-2007-3005 Unspecified vulnerability in Sun JRE
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2