RHSA-2008:0059 - Security Advisory
Moderate: wireshark security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated wireshark packages that fix several security issues are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Wireshark is a program for monitoring network traffic. Wireshark was
previously known as Ethereal.
Several flaws were found in Wireshark. Wireshark could crash or possibly
execute arbitrary code as the user running Wireshark if it read a malformed
packet off the network. (CVE-2007-6114, CVE-2007-6115, CVE-2007-6117)
Several denial of service bugs were found in Wireshark. Wireshark could
crash or stop responding if it read a malformed packet off the network.
(CVE-2007-3389, CVE-2007-3390, CVE-2007-3391, CVE-2007-3392, CVE-2007-3392,
CVE-2007-3393, CVE-2007-6113, CVE-2007-6118, CVE-2007-6120, CVE-2007-6121,
As well, Wireshark switched from using net-snmp to libsmi, which is
included in this errata.
Users of wireshark should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain
Wireshark version 0.99.7, and resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 245796 - CVE-2007-3389 Wireshark crashes when inspecting HTTP traffic
- BZ - 245797 - CVE-2007-3391 Wireshark loops infinitely when inspecting DCP ETSI traffic
- BZ - 245798 - CVE-2007-3392 Wireshark loops infinitely when inspecting SSL traffic
- BZ - 246221 - CVE-2007-3393 Wireshark corrupts the stack when inspecting BOOTP traffic
- BZ - 246225 - CVE-2007-3390 Wireshark crashes when inspecting iSeries traffic
- BZ - 246229 - CVE-2007-3392 Wireshark crashes when inspecting MMS traffic
- BZ - 397281 - CVE-2007-6113 wireshark DNP3 flaws
- BZ - 397291 - CVE-2007-6114 wireshark SSL and OS/400 trace flaws
- BZ - 397311 - CVE-2007-6115 wireshark ANSI MAP flaws
- BZ - 397331 - CVE-2007-6117 wireshark HTTP dissector flaws
- BZ - 397341 - CVE-2007-6118 wireshark MEGACO dissector flaws
- BZ - 397361 - CVE-2007-6120 wireshark Bluetooth SDP dissector flaws
- BZ - 397371 - CVE-2007-6121 wireshark RPC Portmap flaws
- BZ - 426337 - Wireshare rebase requires new libsmi package adding to rhel3
- BZ - 427253 - CVE-2007-6450 wireshark RPL dissector crash
- BZ - 427254 - CVE-2007-6451 wireshark CIP dissector crash
This erratum does not contain any packages.