RHSA-2008:0039 - Security Advisory
Moderate: postgresql security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated postgresql packages that fix several security issues are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
PostgreSQL is an advanced Object-Relational database management system
(DBMS). The postgresql packages include the client programs and libraries
needed to access a PostgreSQL DBMS server.
A privilege escalation flaw was discovered in PostgreSQL. An authenticated
attacker could create an index function that would be executed with
administrator privileges during database maintenance tasks, such as
database vacuuming. (CVE-2007-6600)
A privilege escalation flaw was discovered in PostgreSQL's Database Link
library (dblink). An authenticated attacker could use dblink to possibly
escalate privileges on systems with "trust" or "ident" authentication
configured. Please note that dblink functionality is not enabled by
default, and can only by enabled by a database administrator on systems
with the postgresql-contrib package installed.
All postgresql users should upgrade to these updated packages, which
include PostgreSQL 7.3.21 and resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 309141 - CVE-2007-3278 dblink allows proxying of database connections via 127.0.0.1
- BZ - 427127 - CVE-2007-6600 PostgreSQL privilege escalation
- BZ - 427128 - CVE-2007-6601 PostgreSQL privilege escalation via dblink
This erratum does not contain any packages.