RHSA-2007:0709 - Security Advisory
Low: wireshark security and bug fix update
Security Advisory: Low
New Wireshark packages that fix various security vulnerabilities and
functionality bugs are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
Wireshark was previously known as Ethereal.
This update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.
Wireshark is a program for monitoring network traffic.
Several denial of service bugs were found in Wireshark's HTTP, iSeries, DCP
ETSI, SSL, MMS, DHCP and BOOTP protocol dissectors. It was possible for
Wireshark to crash or stop responding if it read a malformed packet off the
network. (CVE-2007-3389, CVE-2007-3390, CVE-2007-3391, CVE-2007-3392,
Wireshark would interpret certain completion codes incorrectly when
dissecting IPMI traffic. Additionally, IPMI 2.0 packets would be reported
as malformed IPMI traffic.
Users of Wireshark should upgrade to these updated packages containing
Wireshark version 0.99.6, which correct these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 245796 - CVE-2007-3389 Wireshark crashes when inspecting HTTP traffic
- BZ - 245797 - CVE-2007-3391 Wireshark loops infinitely when inspecting DCP ETSI traffic
- BZ - 245798 - CVE-2007-3392 Wireshark loops infinitely when inspecting SSL traffic
- BZ - 246221 - CVE-2007-3393 Wireshark corrupts the stack when inspecting BOOTP traffic
- BZ - 246225 - CVE-2007-3390 Wireshark crashes when inspecting iSeries traffic
- BZ - 246229 - CVE-2007-3392 Wireshark crashes when inspecting MMS traffic
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4