RHSA-2007:0533 - Security Advisory
Moderate: httpd security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated Apache httpd packages that correct two security issues and two bugs
are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The Apache HTTP Server is a popular Web server.
A flaw was found in the Apache HTTP Server mod_status module. On sites
where the server-status page is publicly accessible and ExtendedStatus is
enabled this could lead to a cross-site scripting attack. On Red Hat
Enterprise Linux the server-status page is not enabled by default and it is
best practice to not make this publicly available. (CVE-2006-5752)
A flaw was found in the Apache HTTP Server mod_cache module. On sites where
caching is enabled, a remote attacker could send a carefully crafted
request that would cause the Apache child process handling that request to
crash. This could lead to a denial of service if using a threaded
Multi-Processing Module. (CVE-2007-1863)
In addition, two bugs were fixed:
- when the ProxyErrorOverride directive was enabled, responses with 3xx
status-codes would be overriden at the proxy. This has been changed so that
only 4xx and 5xx responses are overriden.
- the "ProxyTimeout" directive was not inherited across virtual host
Users of httpd should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain
backported patches to correct these issues. Users should restart Apache
after installing this update.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 244638 - Reverse Proxy Unexpected Timeout
- BZ - 244639 - Mod_proxy_http ProxyErrorOverride eating cookies
- BZ - 244658 - CVE-2007-1863 httpd mod_cache segfault
- BZ - 245112 - CVE-2006-5752 httpd mod_status XSS
This erratum does not contain any packages.