RHSA-2006:0735 - Security Advisory
Critical: thunderbird security update
Security Advisory: Critical
Updated thunderbird packages that fix several security bugs are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
This update has been rated as having critical security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Mozilla Thunderbird is a standalone mail and newsgroup client.
Several flaws were found in the way Thunderbird processes certain malformed
execute arbitrary code as the user running Thunderbird. (CVE-2006-5463,
Several flaws were found in the way Thunderbird renders HTML mail messages.
A malicious HTML mail message could cause the mail client to crash or
possibly execute arbitrary code as the user running Thunderbird.
A flaw was found in the way Thunderbird verifies RSA signatures. For RSA
keys with exponent 3 it is possible for an attacker to forge a signature
that would be incorrectly verified by the NSS library. Thunderbird as
shipped trusts several root Certificate Authorities that use exponent 3. An
attacker could have created a carefully crafted SSL certificate which would
be incorrectly trusted when their site was visited by a victim. This flaw
was previously thought to be fixed in Thunderbird 22.214.171.124, however Ulrich
Kuehn discovered the fix was incomplete (CVE-2006-5462)
Users of Thunderbird are advised to upgrade to this update, which contains
Thunderbird version 126.96.36.199 that corrects these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 214450 - CVE-2006-5462 Multiple thunderbird vulnerabilities (CVE-2006-5463, CVE-2006-5464, CVE-2006-5747, CVE-2006-5748)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4