RHSA-2006:0677 - Security Advisory
thunderbird security update
Security Advisory: Critical
Updated thunderbird packages that fix several security bugs are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
This update has been rated as having critical security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Mozilla Thunderbird is a standalone mail and newsgroup client.
Two flaws were found in the way Thunderbird processed certain regular
expressions. A malicious HTML email could cause a crash or possibly
execute arbitrary code as the user running Thunderbird. (CVE-2006-4565,
A flaw was found in the Thunderbird auto-update verification system. An
attacker who has the ability to spoof a victim's DNS could get Firefox to
download and install malicious code. In order to exploit this issue an
attacker would also need to get a victim to previously accept an
unverifiable certificate. (CVE-2006-4567)
HTML email could crash the browser or possibly execute arbitrary code as
the user running Thunderbird. (CVE-2006-4253)
Daniel Bleichenbacher recently described an implementation error in RSA
signature verification. For RSA keys with exponent 3 it is possible for an
attacker to forge a signature that which would be incorrectly verified by
the NSS library. (CVE-2006-4340)
A flaw was found in Thunderbird that triggered when a HTML message
contained a remote image pointing to a XBL script. An attacker could have
certain actions were performed on the email by the recipient, even if
A number of flaws were found in Thunderbird. A malicious HTML email could
cause a crash or possibly execute arbitrary code as the user running
Users of Thunderbird are advised to upgrade to this update, which contains
Thunderbird version 18.104.22.168 that corrects these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 206433 - CVE-2006-4340 Various Thunderbird security issues (CVE-2006-4253 CVE-2006-4565 CVE-2006-4566 CVE-2006-4567 CVE-2006-4570 CVE-2006-4571)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4