RHSA-2006:0648 - Security Advisory
kdegraphics security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated kdegraphics packages that fix several security flaws in kfax are
now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1, and 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The kdegraphics package contains graphics applications for the K Desktop
Tavis Ormandy of Google discovered a number of flaws in libtiff during a
security audit. The kfax application contains a copy of the libtiff code
used for parsing TIFF files and is therefore affected by these flaws.
An attacker who has the ability to trick a user into opening a malicious
TIFF file could cause kfax to crash or possibly execute arbitrary code.
(CVE-2006-3459, CVE-2006-3460, CVE-2006-3461, CVE-2006-3462, CVE-2006-3463,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 is not vulnerable to these issues as kfax uses
the shared libtiff library which has been fixed in a previous update.
Users of kfax should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain
backported patches and are not vulnerable to this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 201313 - CVE-2006-3459 kfax affected by libtiff flaws (CVE-2006-3460 CVE-2006-3461 CVE-2006-3462 CVE-2006-3463 CVE-2006-3464 CVE-2006-3465)
This erratum does not contain any packages.