RHSA-2006:0582 - Security Advisory
kdebase security fix
Security Advisory: Low
Updated kdebase packages that resolve several bugs are now available.
This update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.
The kdebase packages provide the core applications for KDE, the K Desktop
Environment. These core packages include the file manager Konqueror.
Ilja van Sprundel discovered a lock file handling flaw in kcheckpass. If
the directory /var/lock is writable by a user who is allowed to run
kcheckpass, that user could gain root privileges. In Red Hat Enterprise
Linux, the /var/lock directory is not writable by users and therefore this
flaw could only have been exploited if the permissions on that directory
have been badly configured. A patch to block this issue has been included
in this update. (CVE-2005-2494)
The following bugs have also been addressed:
- kstart --tosystray does not send the window to the system tray in Kicker
- When the customer enters or selects URLs in Firefox's address field, the
desktop freezes for a couple of seconds
- fish kioslave is broken on 64-bit systems
All users of kdebase should upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain patches to resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 166995 - CVE-2005-2494 kcheckpass privilege escalation
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4