RHSA-2005:517 - Security Advisory
HelixPlayer security update
Security Advisory: Critical
An updated HelixPlayer package that fixes a buffer overflow issue is now
This update has been rated as having critical security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
HelixPlayer is a media player.
A buffer overflow bug was found in the way HelixPlayer processes SMIL files.
An attacker could create a specially crafted SMIL file, which when combined
with a malicious web server, could execute arbitrary code when opened by a
user. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has
assigned the name CAN-2005-1766 to this issue.
All users of HelixPlayer are advised to upgrade to this updated package,
which contains HelixPlayer version 10.0.5 and is not vulnerable to this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 159871 - CAN-2005-1766 HelixPlayer heap overflow
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4