RHSA-2005:501 - Security Advisory
XFree86 security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated XFree86 packages that fix several integer overflows, various bugs,
and add ATI RN50/ES1000 support are now available for Red Hat Enterprise
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
XFree86 is an implementation of the X Window System, which provides
the core functionality for the Linux graphical desktop.
Several integer overflow bugs were found in the way XFree86 parses pixmap
images. It is possible for a user to gain elevated privileges by loading a
specially crafted pixmap image. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2005-2495 to this issue.
Additionally this update adds the following new features in this release:
- Support for ATI RN50/ES1000 chipsets has been added.
The following bugs were also fixed in this release:
- A problem with the X server's module loading system that led to cache
incoherency on the Itanium architecture.
- The X server's PCI config space accesses caused contention
with the kernel if accesses occurred while the kernel lock was held.
- X font server (xfs) crashed when accessing Type 1 fonts
- A problem with the X transport library prevented X applications
from starting if the hostname started with a digit.
- An issue where refresh rates were being restricted to 60Hz on
some Intel i8xx systems
Users of XFree86 should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain a
backported patch and are not vulnerable to this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 116040 - no refresh > 60 Hz for i810
- BZ - 134883 - (xtrans bug) Can't open display: 50dhcp26:0.0
- BZ - 135606 - X Font Server crashes when accessing Type 1 fonts via showfont.
- BZ - 153106 - ia64 elfloader cache flush
- BZ - 166857 - CAN-2005-2495 multiple integer overflows
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3