RHSA-2005:337 - Security Advisory
thunderbird security update
Security Advisory: Critical
Updated thunderbird packages that fix various bugs are now available.
This update has been rated as having critical security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Mozilla Thunderbird is a standalone mail and newsgroup client.
A buffer overflow bug was found in the way Thunderbird processes GIF
images. It is possible for an attacker to create a specially crafted GIF
image, which when viewed by a victim will execute arbitrary code as the
victim. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org)
has assigned the name CAN-2005-0399 to this issue.
A bug was found in the Thunderbird string handling functions. If a
malicious website is able to exhaust a system's memory, it becomes possible
to execute arbitrary code. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project
(cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2005-0255 to this issue.
Users of Thunderbird are advised to upgrade to this updated package which
contains Thunderbird version 1.0.2 and is not vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 149883 - CAN-2005-0255 Memory overwrite in string library
- BZ - 150874 - CAN-2005-0399 thunderbird GIF buffer overflow
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4