RHSA-2005:137 - Security Advisory
mailman security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated mailman packages to correct a security issue are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Mailman is software to help manage email discussion lists.
A flaw in the true_path function of Mailman was discovered. A remote
attacker who is a member of a private mailman list could use a carefully
crafted URL and gain access to arbitrary files on the server. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name
CAN-2005-0202 to this issue.
Note: Mailman installations running on Apache 2.0-based servers are not
vulnerable to this issue.
Users of Mailman should update to these erratum packages that contain a
patch and are not vulnerable to this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 147344 - CAN-2005-0202 mailman flaw
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4