RHSA-2005:012 - Security Advisory
krb5 security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated Kerberos (krb5) packages that correct buffer overflow and temporary
file bugs are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Kerberos is a networked authentication system that uses a trusted third
party (a KDC) to authenticate clients and servers to each other.
A heap based buffer overflow bug was found in the administration library of
Kerberos 1.3.5 and earlier. This bug could allow an authenticated remote
attacker to execute arbitrary commands on a realm's master Kerberos KDC.
The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has
assigned the name CAN-2004-1189 to this issue.
Additionally a temporary file bug was found in the Kerberos krb5-send-pr
program. It is possible that an attacker could create a temporary file
that would allow an arbitrary file to be overwritten which the victim has
write access to. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project
(cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2004-0971 to this issue.
All users of krb5 should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain
backported security patches to resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 136304 - CAN-2004-0971 temporary file vulnerabilities in krb5-send-pr script
- BZ - 140066 - CAN-2004-0971 temporary file vulnerabilities in krb5-send-pr script
- BZ - 142902 - CAN-2004-1189 buffer overflow in krb5
This erratum does not contain any packages.