RHSA-2004:654 - Security Advisory
squirrelmail security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An updated SquirrelMail package that fixes a cross-site scripting
vulnerability is now available.
SquirrelMail is a webmail package written in PHP.
A cross-site scripting bug has been found in SquirrelMail. This issue
could allow an attacker to send a mail with a carefully crafted header,
which could result in causing the victim's machine to execute a malicious
script. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project has assigned the
name CAN-2004-1036 to this issue.
Additionally, the following issues have been addressed:
- updated splash screens
- HIGASHIYAMA Masato's patch to improve Japanese support
- real 1.4.3a tarball
- config_local.php and default_pref in /etc/squirrelmail/ to match upstream
Please note that it is possible that upgrading to this package may remove
your SquirrelMail configuration files due to a bug in the RPM package.
Upgrading will prevent this from happening in the future.
Users of SquirrelMail are advised to upgrade to this updated package which
contains a patched version of SquirrelMail version 1.43a and is not
vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 112769 - The login page says Red Hat Linux instead of Fedora/RHEL
- BZ - 125638 - config_local.php is not listed as a config file
- BZ - 139739 - CAN-2004-1036 Cross Site Scripting in encoded text
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3