RHSA-2004:650 - Security Advisory
libxml security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An updated libxml package that fixes multiple buffer overflows is now
[Updated 24 May 2005]
Multilib packages have been added to this advisory
The libxml package contains a library for manipulating XML files.
Multiple buffer overflow bugs have been found in libxml versions prior to
2.6.14. If an attacker can trick a user into passing a specially crafted
FTP URL or FTP proxy URL to an application that uses the vulnerable
functions of libxml, it could be possible to execute arbitrary code.
Additionally, if an attacker can return a specially crafted DNS request to
libxml, it could be possible to execute arbitrary code. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name
CAN-2004-0989 to this issue.
Yuuichi Teranishi discovered a flaw in libxml versions prior to 2.6.6.
When fetching a remote resource via FTP or HTTP, libxml uses special
parsing routines. These routines can overflow a buffer if passed a very
long URL. If an attacker is able to find an application using libxml that
parses remote resources and allows them to influence the URL, then this
flaw could be used to execute arbitrary code. The Common Vulnerabilities
and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2004-0110
to this issue.
All users are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which contains
backported patches and is not vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 139090 - CAN-2004-0110 multiple buffer overflows (CAN-2004-0989)
This erratum does not contain any packages.