RHSA-2004:611 - Security Advisory
mysql-server security update
Security Advisory: Important
An updated mysql-server package that fixes various security issues is now
available in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Extras channel of Red Hat Network.
MySQL is a multi-user, multi-threaded SQL database server.
A number of security issues that affect the mysql-server package have been
reported. Although Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 does not ship with the
mysql-server package, the affected package is available from the Red Hat
Network Extras channel.
Oleksandr Byelkin discovered that "ALTER TABLE ... RENAME" checked
the CREATE/INSERT rights of the old table instead of the new one. The
Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned
the name CAN-2004-0835 to this issue.
Lukasz Wojtow discovered a buffer overrun in the mysql_real_connect
function. In order to exploit this issue an attacker would need to force
the use of a malicious DNS server (CAN-2004-0836).
Dean Ellis discovered that multiple threads ALTERing the same (or
different) MERGE tables to change the UNION could cause the server to crash
or stall (CAN-2004-0837).
Sergei Golubchik discovered that if a user is granted privileges to a
database with a name containing an underscore ("_"), the user also gains
the ability to grant privileges to other databases with similar names
Users of mysql-server should upgrade to these erratum packages, which
correct these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains the
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.m
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 135372 - CAN-2004-0835 MySQL flaws (CAN-2004-0836, CAN-2004-0837, CAN-2004-0957)
This erratum does not contain any packages.