RHSA-2004:562 - Security Advisory
httpd security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated httpd packages that include fixes for two security issues, as well as
other bugs, are now available.
The Apache HTTP server is a powerful, full-featured, efficient, and
freely-available Web server.
An issue has been discovered in the mod_ssl module when configured to use
the "SSLCipherSuite" directive in directory or location context. If a
particular location context has been configured to require a specific set
of cipher suites, then a client will be able to access that location using
any cipher suite allowed by the virtual host configuration. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name
CAN-2004-0885 to this issue.
An issue has been discovered in the handling of white space in request
header lines using MIME folding. A malicious client could send a carefully
crafted request, forcing the server to consume large amounts of memory,
leading to a denial of service. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2004-0942 to this issue.
Several minor bugs were also discovered, including:
- In the mod_cgi module, problems that arise when CGI scripts are
invoked from SSI pages by mod_include using the "#include virtual"
syntax have been fixed.
- In the mod_dav_fs module, problems with the handling of indirect locks
on the S/390x platform have been fixed.
Users of the Apache HTTP server who are affected by these issues should
upgrade to these updated packages, which contain backported patches.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 132593 - mod_dav_fs: indirect lock refresh broken on s390x
- BZ - 134825 - CAN-2004-0885 SSLCipherSuite bypass
- BZ - 138064 - CAN-2004-0942 Memory consumption DoS
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3