RHSA-2004:489 - Security Advisory
rh-postgresql security update
Security Advisory: Low
Updated rh-postgresql packages that fix various bugs are now available.
PostgreSQL is an advanced Object-Relational database management system
(DBMS) that supports almost all SQL constructs (including transactions,
subselects, and user-defined types and functions).
Trustix has identified improper temporary file usage in the
make_oidjoins_check script. It is possible that an attacker could
overwrite arbitrary file contents as the user running the
make_oidjoins_check script. This script has been removed from the RPM file
since it has no use to ordinary users. The Common Vulnerabilities and
Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2004-0977 to
Additionally, the following non-security issues have been addressed:
- Fixed a low probability risk for loss of recently committed transactions.
- Fixed a low probability risk for loss of older data due to failure to
update transaction status.
- A lock file problem that sometimes prevented automatic restart after a
system crash has been fixed.
All users of rh-postgresql should upgrade to these updated packages, which
resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
If up2date fails to connect to Red Hat Network due to SSL
Certificate Errors, you need to install a version of the
up2date client with an updated certificate. The latest version of
up2date is available from the Red Hat FTP site and may also be
downloaded directly from the RHN website:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 130814 - PostgreSQL can lose committed transactions
- BZ - 130989 - a bug in rh-postgresql.spec file
- BZ - 134090 - Postgres's init script does not remove stale PID file
- BZ - 136300 - CAN-2004-0977 temporary file vulnerabilities in make_oidjoins_check script
- BZ - 136949 - PostgreSQL data loss risk and minor security issues
This erratum does not contain any packages.