RHSA-2004:467 - Security Advisory
samba security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated samba packages that fix two denial of service vulnerabilities are
[Updated 23rd September 2004]
Packages have been updated to include the ppc64 packages which were left
out of the initial errata.
Samba provides file and printer sharing services to SMB/CIFS clients.
The Samba team has discovered a denial of service bug in the smbd daemon.
A defect in smbd's ASN.1 parsing allows an attacker to send a specially
crafted packet during the authentication request which will send the newly
spawned smbd process into an infinite loop. Given enough of these packets,
it is possible to exhaust the available memory on the server. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name
CAN-2004-0807 to this issue.
Additionally the Samba team has also discovered a denial of service bug in
the nmbd daemon. It is possible that an attacker could send a specially
crafted UDP packet which could allow the attacker to anonymously
crash nmbd. This issue only affects nmbd daemons which are configured to
process domain logons. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project
(cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2004-0808 to this issue.
Users of Samba should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain an
upgrade to Samba-3.0.7, which is not vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 132207 - CAN-2004-0807/8 Samba 3 DoS
This erratum does not contain any packages.