RHSA-2004:234 - Security Advisory
ethereal security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated Ethereal packages that fix various security vulnerabilities are now
Ethereal is a program for monitoring network traffic.
The MMSE dissector in Ethereal releases 0.10.1 through 0.10.3 contained a
buffer overflow flaw. On a system where Ethereal is running, a remote
attacker could send malicious packets that could cause Ethereal to crash or
execute arbitrary code. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project
(cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2004-0507 to this issue.
In addition, other flaws in Ethereal prior to 0.10.4 were found that could
cause it to crash in response to carefully crafted SIP (CAN-2004-0504), AIM
(CAN-2004-0505), or SPNEGO (CAN-2004-0506) packets.
Users of Ethereal should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain
backported security patches that correct these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
Please note that this update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red
Hat Network, launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 124534 - CAN-2004-0504/5/6/7 Ethereal 0.10.4 contains security fixes
This erratum does not contain any packages.