RHSA-2004:192 - Security Advisory
rsync security update
Security Advisory: Important
An updated rsync package that fixes a directory traversal security flaw is
Rsync is a program for synchronizing files over a network.
Rsync before 2.6.1 does not properly sanitize paths when running a
read/write daemon without using chroot. This could allow a remote attacker
to write files outside of the module's "path", depending on the privileges
assigned to the rsync daemon. Users not running an rsync daemon, running a
read-only daemon, or running a chrooted daemon are not affected by this
issue. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org)
has assigned the name CAN-2004-0426 to this issue.
Users of Rsync are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which
contains a backported patch and is not affected by this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains the
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
If up2date fails to connect to Red Hat Network due to SSL
Certificate Errors, you need to install a version of the
up2date client with an updated certificate. The latest version of
up2date is available from the Red Hat FTP site and may also be
downloaded directly from the RHN website:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 122511 - CAN-2004-0426 rsync directory traversal
This erratum does not contain any packages.