Using Export Domain to migrate from RHEV to VMware

Latest response

We have some Virtual Machines that are better suited to be hosted by VMware (different monitoring, backup and network dependencies).

My question is regarding using the RHEV Export Domain to migrate between RHEV and VMware.

I have an NFS export currently attached to and managed by RHEV.
I would like to add it as a Data Store in VMware. Will this action somehow invalidate the Domain in RHEV? I don't know what permissions VMware expects for an NFS share (UID/GID or root access), I also do not know whether VMware expects to "own" the share.

NFS in a psuedo-clustered File System deployment has always fascinated me. I think it's awesome that either solution is capable of using a shared resource (such as NFS) and manage locking, etc... between the resources. My concern is that the Virtualization Manager on either platform will not allow this shared resource and invalidate it... specifically if I create it on RHEV first, then attempt to mount it with VMware.

Also - if anyone else has experience/advice regarding a RHEV to VMware migration strategy, feel free to share ;-)

Responses