Satellite version 6 with Puppet, git, Foreman, Katello, Pulp and Candlepin included - questions on using Puppet

Latest response

Minor update 2/5/2015 - note the pdf files at the bottom of this original post, and included in the links here... Many folks added some good/relevant discussions as well.

UPDATED: More slides from the 2014 Red Hat Summit, Todd Warner/Thomas Cameron

I first heard of the use of deploying Puppet Manifests through one of the other people in the discussions here who goes by PixelDrift.NET. Then I came across this at this link that tacitly describes this.... Puppet is apparently very powerful and has a lot of merit, so in my reading I found this further descriptions of Puppet integration with Red Hat Satellite v6; Puppet Installation of Master and Client Components PDF FORMAT

Updated, this link is from the 2014 Red Hat Summit, Red Hat Satellite 6 Overview, Demo and Roadmap regarding these products being included with Red Hat Satellite 6.
This link is from the 2011 RH Summit, yet it contains some relevant info regarding the addition of:
- Puppet for Configuration
- Foreman for Provisioning
- Katello for Content/Life Cycle Management
- Pulp for Repo Management
- Candlepin for Subscription Management.

Puppet will likely be a welcome addition for PixelD (and others), and those of us not yet acquainted with it's use will get the opportunity to do so...

So I'm now interested in instantiating this, and perhaps a proper Puppet server in my test environment to learn it as well.

Does anyone have any idea on building custom manifests, perhaps not only for a more secure build addressing CVEs and other needed security issues, but also configuring server and workstation roles, or a good guide to build a Puppet server?

The discussion here can be wider than what I've introduced here...

Thanks,
Remmele

Aug 21st, 2014 - added the puppet guide for satellite 5/6 provided by Xixi D. mentioned in the comments below and also at https://access.redhat.com/articles/1138393

Attachments

Responses